to much smoke,newbie here

Started by bugs, August 22, 2010, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugs

just got my bradley and i want to do a fresh ham 9lb. Had the ham in for 6hrs and it wasn't done. I tried a little piece and it seems like it is to smokey,just wondering what I'm doing wrong.  I had to finish the ham in the oven. Please help this newbie!

lumpy

Welcome to the forum bugs!

First off, how many hours did you actually burn pucks for?
What was your ham IT when you removed it?
What temp was the Bradley set at?

Once we know this, we can help.

Lumpy

Quarlow

Did you smoke it for the whole 6 hours. If so that is alot of smoke. I will put 5 hours to a 8 lb Pork Butt. A fresh ham should handle that much smoke but you may not be use to that much smoke.
The bradley gives off very concentrated smoke that if you were use to a little chief or another smoker you would find it gives more than those. A 9 lb fresh ham would not be cooked in 6 hrs in the Bradley but I would think 4 hrs of smoke would have been enough. Fresh meat will take more smoke in than a cooked precooked meat. Like if you wanted to put some smoke to a cooked ham or some cooked sausage.That said I have never done a fresh ham but someone who knows more will be along soon. Are you going to eat this right away cause if you wrap it and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days it will absorb the smoke and not be so strong.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

If you applied six hours, that is a little more then I use to smoke hams. I use only 4 hours of pecan. If you only tried a little piece, that will not give you a good indication of the overall smoke flavor when you eat a full slice. Often if the smoke flavor is too strong, tightly wrap it with plastic wrap, and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple of days, that will mellow out the flavor. You may want to wrap it with aluminum foil around the plastic wrap, to cut down on some of the smoke smell in the refrigerator.

Also one other question: what type of bisquette where you using to smoke with? Some bisquettes are much stronger then others.

Here is a guide to bisquettes (Bradley Bisquettes are indicated by the green highlight):
Bisquettes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bugs

thanks for all your responses, I used maple and my temp. was between 200-250. I think after I smoke the meat i'll let it stay wrapped for a day.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bugs!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

ArnieM

Hi bugs and welcome to the forum.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

bugs

just want to thank everyone,glad to have found this forum

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

beefmann

welcome to the forum bugs and i think 6 hours of smoke on a ham is a bit much .. my  max is 3 hours  on most  anything, depending  on the  type of  wood