Sausage making question

Started by yojimbo, August 27, 2010, 06:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yojimbo

Well after 3 years of smoking I've finally decided on giving sausages a go.  Few questions, any help greatly appreciated....

Turned out good but "different".  Used the LEM spicy stick pack.  Used 80/20 ground sirloin to pork (should I use sirloin?).  Smoked for 2 hours (hickory) and brought to 165 temp then cold water bath.  I see lots of recommendations on 152 degrees. 

Is it possible to overstuff casings.  I couldn't get these buggers to bend without seeming like they would split.  Used the LEM collagen casings for snack sticks.

Thanks in advance!!

RAF128

Quote from: yojimbo on August 27, 2010, 06:18:50 PM
Well after 3 years of smoking I've finally decided on giving sausages a go.  Few questions, any help greatly appreciated....

Turned out good but "different".  Used the LEM spicy stick pack.  Used 80/20 ground sirloin to pork (should I use sirloin?).  Smoked for 2 hours (hickory) and brought to 165 temp then cold water bath.  I see lots of recommendations on 152 degrees. 

Is it possible to overstuff casings.  I couldn't get these buggers to bend without seeming like they would split.  Used the LEM collagen casings for snack sticks.

Thanks in advance!!

Any cut of meat works for sausage.    I doubt the commercial sausage makers use sirloin.   Most of my sausage is made from deer which is lean.  I avoid the fat.   My mix is 70/30, deer/pork because of the dryness of venision.   I alway bring my sausage up to 152ยบ.    After that it starts to dry out again.   
IMO you can overstuff the casings.  You can also understuff.    It should bend fairlly easy.   IMO it take practice to get it right.

smokeitall

You can def overstuff casings...dun it more than once :)
SIA