Storing Casings

Started by Sailor, August 24, 2010, 03:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

I did a search and did not find the information or perhaps I am not smart enough to know how to do a search.  At any rate......I ordered a hank of hog casings and they arrived today.  They are packaged in a sealed plastic bag and their is some liquid in there but not much.  I will not use the entire bag the next time that I make some sausage as I will only be making 10 to 20 lbs and I think a hank is good for 100 to 125 lbs.  So.....how do I prepare the left overs to store?  I had been using the home paks and they were all salted so it was not a problem to resalt the ones that I did not use up and store back in the package and put in the fridge.  Hopefully I will be able to save the excess casings after I open the hank package.  Any info?

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KevinG

I don't believe those can be stored for very long. I know the salted ones are ok to re-salt and store, but the ones in liquid I'm pretty sure have to be used up rather quickly - I think within a couple of months, but can't be sure. I'm not home to verify that right now.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Those type of casings are packed in a light salt brine solution, and you usually find this type in sporting good stores, because they don't need refrigeration until after the package is opened. Most instructions state to keep them in the brine solution and refrigerated, and they should last up to one year after the package has been opened. But I would think that if you give them a quick rinse, pat them dry with paper towels; you should be able to pack them in salt for longer storage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

As long as you keep them packed in the salt or salt brine the casings completely covered with a tight fitting lid or vac sealed in the fridge they will be good for ages. If you open and get a whiff of rot then toss em.

In the past natural casings were sunk deep into salt or even lard. The lard soaking prevents any air reaching the casings.

Sailor

Thanks for the input.  I will put the reminder of what I don't use in a vac bag and put them back in the fridge.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

IanB

Just give them a real good salting, you cant use too much, and keep them fridged - no problem!

unclebuck

I have not bought hog casings in brine, however, I have bought sheep casings that way.  I leave them in the brine solution until I need them, use what I require, dry them off, and pack them away as I do with my dry salted hog casings.  I separate the casings when I get them home and vac seal them in uniodized salt and put them in the freezer.  When I need them, I bring them out and soak them in a mild vinegar/water solution.  What hasn't been used goes back into salt, vac sealed again, and back into the freezer.   Has worked like a charm for me for 30 odd years.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Habanero Smoker

I've never stored my casings in the freezer, but from what I have read storing casings in the freezer will weaken the casings making them more prone to splitting. Also the texture is much more tougher after they are cooked; though the vinegar solution may help with the toughness.

When salt packed they have an indefinite shelf life in the refrigerator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)