Need guidance to make bear sausage

Started by Boreal Hunter, August 23, 2010, 10:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boreal Hunter

Hello everyone im a newbie here. I got my bear this pass weekend i would like some guidance in making sausage and (jerky) if possible any help would be appreciated i have a Bradley digital smoker and would like to use it on this.

Thanks

TestRocket

Welcome Boreal Hunter,

I can't help you with sausage but there are some forum members that this question is just right for. So hang on a little while and you'll get all the help you need.  Good luck!

KevinG

I've never made sausage out of bear, but I've heard there is a lot of fat on them. You might need to trim a bunch of that off if it is the case.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Boreal Hunter

Well i guess not to many have done bear sausage i will do a small batch and experiment i am just wondering how much pork i should add or not to add

KevinG

A general rule is 80/20, but that is for a lean meat such as venison. If you're able to get the fat out of the bear meat, I would shoot for that, otherwise you may need to cut back on the pork. The pork is usually added for the fat flavor, even though it's not all fat. I don't imagine the bear fat would taste that good, but you never know. Cook some up and if it don't taste bad you can work from there.

NePaSmoKer

Just seen this post.

I have done bear, pretty fatty like goose. When i do 5 lbs of bear i use 4 lbs bear and 1 lb 80/20 or 85/15 ground beef. Try to stay away from a pork cut in, i found it dint taste right with pork.

Also this is what an Amish friend taught me. When cutting greasy game cut it on an old butcher block. The wood will absorb allot of the fat and natural grease.

Boreal Hunter

You know that makes lot of sense Nepas i will use beef i will also marinating meat for 24 hours befor grinding
1 cup olive  oil
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup soya sauce
2 onions, chopper
2 clove garlic, pressed
1 tablespoon Juniper berries, crushed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
then i will season lightly 
It should take lot of the wild taste out but i wont marinate the beef
keep you all posted
Thanks

Batman of BBQ

Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

unclebuck

Batman, I beg to differ.  The fastest climber the the guy the bear is chasing!!!! ;D

what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Tenpoint5

Nepas I wonder if my Bologna recipe could be retrofitted to use bear meat?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 28, 2010, 07:49:00 AM

Dont see why not.

Speaking of bears we had one the other nite by my smokehouse. I was going to X Hair him but got told no  :-\

KevinG

Gotta protect that smoked meat, otherwise you'll go hungry.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 28, 2010, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 28, 2010, 07:49:00 AM

Dont see why not.

Speaking of bears we had one the other nite by my smokehouse. I was going to X Hair him but got told no  :-\
I would have put a load of rock salt in his butt to learn him where not to be
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!