Smoked Salt

Started by Tenpoint5, August 24, 2010, 06:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodyfisherman

Can I ask what you use that size smoked salt in/for.....do you use a grinder on it and then use it like table salt? ???
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

ArnieM

I use the salt in a grinder.  This will be my first time for the Tellicherry peppercorns.  I ordered a pair of S&P grinders from Amazon just to keep 'em separate from the regular S&P grinders.

I wouldn't use it blindly as table salt, especially on smoked food.  It won't go on everything.  It can add a nice hint of smoke to scrambled eggs, steamed veggies, stew, etc. 

Try a couple of ounces of a coarse sea salt the next time you smoke.  Only you can be the judge of whether you like it or not.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Bavind

My sister in law tells me she uses it on everything

ArnieM

Quote from: Bavind on August 24, 2010, 10:18:08 PM
My sister in law tells me she uses it on everything

Sounds like your brother did well  ;D  Give it a shot.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Just like Arnie I put it in a grinder actually in the grinder pictured. I also use it in everything I cook with mix in burgers on veggies. I don't add it to the water when doing noodles. It is just a matter of taste and only you can decide that.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet ..........

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 25, 2010, 07:31:26 AM
Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet .......... Is it done yet ..........
Yes it is and bottled and corked and sitting in the cabinet resting for a few days. The color got a little darker already.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

I got to try this at the last MWSO and couldn't believe how good it was, I was about to PM Chris and ask him to refresh my memory on how he told me to do it. Then I thought I better check the forum because it's probably already posted and there it was. I love this forum, there is so much great stuff to try. Next trip to store and I'm picking up some salt and big coffee filters.