Atlantic versus Pacific Salmon

Started by Smokeville, August 25, 2010, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

SV -

Two questions.  Have you tried the Steelhead?  Could it be you're eating farmed trout?  I can understand if you don't want to experiment too much.  :-\
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Carter

Here's something interesting...We've talked a lot about farmed vs Wild.  I've got a guy who I buy my Atlantic Salmon from.  He says it's wild, but from everything I've read this seems unlikely to me.  The Salmon I buy from him are beautiful big fillets and they taste great.  I also have a membership at Costco and have bought the Salmon from there and have been disappointed with it.

Not really a question, just a comment.

I say "go for it" Smokeville.  And when you're done, can you help me convince my wife to try shellfish?  Both her mother and aunt are quite allergic, so she has never bothered to tempt fate and is not inclined to.  My loss.

Smokeville

Quote from: ArnieM on August 27, 2010, 02:22:28 PM
SV -

Two questions.  Have you tried the Steelhead?  Could it be you're eating farmed trout?  I can understand if you don't want to experiment too much.  :-\

I haven't tried Steelhead because it gets labeled as salmon and trout and that becomes a trust issue... I started another thread on Steelhead that makes me think I am likely not allergic. But....!!!

So far as I know I have always been able to eat rainbow trout. I get ill on Char, but not on Lake Trout which I understand to be the same fish -- sort of. It seems to be a salt water vs. fresh water issue.

What made me question all this was a visit to Whole Foods, where the trout is farmed in Panama and is white because they refuse to have it fed with the colour pellets. The fishguy said that all their fish is fed with organic/vegetable pellets. My thinking was I am allergic to saltwater wild salmon because they eat a lot of shrimp or other crustaceans which I am also allergic to.

Thanks for asking. Hopefully all will become clearer next week.

Rich

Smokeville

Hey carter;

Tell your wife that my father was allergic to shrimp, but not to salmon. I'm allergic to shrimp, lobster, crab (i.e. crustaceans) and salmon. Why salmon? Only God knows and I can't ask Him yet.

My 3 grown kids can eat them all.

Life is not fair.

Rich

Smokeville

Ok, we sold out of the Sockeye. A friend who bought some e-mailed me and said she wold definitely buy it again.

Quarlow

You know up until last year when my buddy from work gave me a sockeye to smoke I had never done them, in fact the only thing I have had is Springs(king) and Chums. I can say with out a word of a lie the sockeye was almost a spoiler for any other smoked salmon. That was so different from the others and so much more flavourful it was beyond belief. I will take the sockeyes anytime I can get them from now on. Of course that does depend on the price. Like I always say "free is good".
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Smokeville

According to the news, this is an astonishing year for Sockeye.

The Vancouver Sun:

After this past week's salmon returns indicated the largest Fraser River salmon run since 1913, prices for the prized fish have been dropping from seven dollars per pound last week to five dollars on Saturday morning. That caused a run on the Steveston docks Saturday as happy customers were seen leaving the pier carrying huge coolers with sockeye tails and fins jutting out from all sides.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ultimate+salmon+packs+docks+boardwalks+Steveston/3455946/story.html#ixzz0xzzSAdjM

Kummok

Dang! Time to Stack 'em, Whack 'em, & Pack 'em ...full freezers THIS winter!!

Caneyscud

Unfair. According to my wife I have used up my allotment of "Man" trips this year. 

Last weekend I spent some time with the local guru of Full Dress Atlantic Salmon Fly Tyers.  I've got "feather envy".  One of the flyfishing buds was talking about getting a group together to buy some land on the Pere Marquette and steelheading to our heart's desire.  Now youse guys are talking salmon, salmon and more salmon.  I want to go fishing!   REAL BAD! 

Kummok - you got me wanting to try "feeder King bellies dripping in oil"    Ain't never - yet!!

Good on you SV for knowing Char and Lake Trout are cousins!!  Correct - Lake trout are stricktly freshwater, and Char are/can be anadromous.  Some are strictly freshwater some start in fresh, spend time in the salt and then return to fresh.  Talk about some beautiful fish in their breeding colors.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

Time to re-open contract negotiations with your wife, Caney....technically, as long as it's 'catching' and not just 'fishing', it is indeed your job as hunter/gatherer to bring home the fish...therefore not really a man trip...so it's wide open on the number of 'food gathering events'.

Don't know if it'll fly, since in reality women are genuinely smarter than us, but it's male-logic that's worth a try?!?!?  I tell my wife to think of my fishing time the same as her catalog-reading or shopping time.....it never works but I sneak out the back door with the fishing rod while she's scratching her head trying to recover from the shock of my male-logic hitting her brain.... 8)

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"