Pucks not advancing, revisited

Started by ankorklankor, August 26, 2010, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ankorklankor

I was trying it again last night and noticed that once in a while after pressing the advance button and the cycle completes it will pause 1 or 2 seconds then run a cycle backwards and shove another puck in, won't do it every time so it's hard to recreate the event.

Sometimes after pressing the advance button and the cycle completes 2-3 seconds after completion I will here 1 or 2 clicks from the timer circuit.  The motor does not try to turn, just the clicks, can't get it to repeat in any kind of pattern so hard to troubleshoot and define a pattern.

I double checked my wiring and it is wired properly. 

The only thing I have not tried is clean/replace the micro switch, it might not have good contact and could have a film on it from all the smoke backing up into the generator.  I live in the sticks so when it comes to buying anything special, like contact or tuner cleaner you have to travel for it or wait until the wagon train comes by with supplies  :)

Thanks for all the help Smoker,  I'll call Bradley on Monday morning.  When I find out something, I'll post the outcome.

David.
Relax don't worry, have a home brew.

ankorklankor

I have the original,  I can take a picture today and post it for you.  I still have my original generator and have compared the wiring with that one at they are the same. 

See my previous post to Smoker for a list of additional symptoms.

I'll fire it up and see what happens when I wiggle the actuator arm.  Do you think the micro switch needs to be adjusted after I replaced the motor and linkage?

Thanks,

David.

Bradley (Head Office)

QuoteSometimes after pressing the advance button and the cycle completes 2-3 seconds after completion I will here 1 or 2 clicks from the timer circuit.  The motor does not try to turn, just the clicks, can't get it to repeat in any kind of pattern so hard to troubleshoot and define a pattern.

This sounds like your micro switch is the problem

I dont think it is a adjustment problem but more of a worn out or gummed up internal problem.

If at all possible try cleaning the micro switch even buy soaking it in some rubbing alcohol it may have a build up of smoke inside it or the contacts are burned/ pitted in it

If you are going to replace the switch I would also replace the advance button at the same time then all the components that have to do with advancing are new
and you should have no more problems.

Brian.

ankorklankor

Took the micro and push button switches out this morning and soaked them both in alcohol.  Before I soaked the micro switch I tested it with my ohm meter and the resistance reading on one side was pretty high, ~50 ohms.  After soaking both sides of the switch were essentially zero. 

Reinstalled both switches and still will not automatically advance pucks. 

I tried wiggling the motor/shuttle linkage after 20-25 minutes had passed and nothing.

If the time is functioning properly how long will voltage be applied to the micro switch to start the motor cycle again? 

Does it stay present once the time applies it?  or is it only momentary? 

Seem like it should stay present until the motor cycles completely and the linkage opens the circuit again when the micro switch is activated.

I'm tied up the rest of the day with family gatherings so will try to take pictures of the inside wiring and post them for you.

David.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi David

You should have some reading on the wires

between Black which is + wire
and Yellow which is NC wire you should have at least 20 ohms this is with the switch out of the generator.

If you are getting no reading I would think the contacts inside the switch are burnt or maybe the spring clip has lost its
tension.
Here are a couple of pictures to help understand the switch.

This is the switch opened up

This is close up of the contacts and spring clip

Brian

jjo

I am having the same problem with an original Bradley smoker.  What was the final resolution?  My micro switch doesn't look the same as this picture.  My smoker is pretty old though (2002'ish).

Thanks.

goblism

Are you using a PID?  if the PID is plugged into the entire unit than you are resetting the puck advance everytime the PID cuts the power, if your plugging the PID straight into the tower you won't have this problem
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jjo on November 13, 2010, 06:17:26 AM
I am having the same problem with an original Bradley smoker.  What was the final resolution?  My micro switch doesn't look the same as this picture.  My smoker is pretty old though (2002'ish).

Thanks.

It may look different because the case in opened up. Here is the same switch fully assembled and installed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

broken

I have a older Bradley(pre 2000) and had issues with that same problem,what I found was the motor was running in reverse the way to re tune it was open up the generator and do 1/2 cycle,unplug it and plug it back it in,never looked back since than and it is still operating fine now..........aka Thunder Fish..........just running on the putor in the garage

Habanero Smoker

Great to hear you have it up and running. The next time you get it open, I would love to see what the earlier micro switch looked like.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jjo

When I took a closer look.  The switch is actually the same.  The difference is there is a peice of spring steel that the arm of the slide contacts and then inturn pushes the button on the micro switch.  I will take a picture the next time I have it open but while it is working, I will just leave it alone.

Habanero Smoker

I agree! Don't open it if it is working. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.