Very Excited

Started by mrmnjewel, August 27, 2010, 07:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmnjewel

I wanted to say hello and say that I am very excited about beginning my journey into the world of smoking. My brand new, 4-rack digital smoker will be arriving today. I have been researching them for awhile and settled on the BDS after reading numerous reviews and getting a glowing recommendation from a coworker. I plan to set up the smoker tomorrow and attempt my first smoke on Sunday. I have purchased a 4 lb pork shoulder as my first meat to smoke (it's just me and my wife this time). Have found a rub recipe that sounds enticing. I am excited that there is a forum here that I can throw questions and ideas out on. If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions between now and Sunday, I would be very appreciative. I look forward to interacting and getting to know some of you in the coming days.

Matt

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ArnieM

Hi mrmnjewel and welcome to the forum.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Welcome aboard Matt!  Have fun and let us know how your first smoke is going.  If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.  I doubt that you could ask a question that hasn't already been asked many times before so don't be intimidated.

mikeradio

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Matt! Don't forget to season that new toy before you start.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

watchdog56

Welcome Matt. I am guessing you are from Minnesota? If so I am too along with TTNUGE nad maybe a few others. Anyways don't be afraid to ask ?. Also if you are doing a butt don't worry if it stalls around 160 for a couple of hours,it is supposed to do that. Just remember to Foil,Towel,Cooler for a couple of hours so the juuices can soak back into the meat.

mrmnjewel

Actually, interestingly enough, no. I am in metro Atlanta, Georgia. My screenname is a combination of my initials (MRM) and my wife's nickname...Yeah, I have been reading as much in advance as possible, so I have heard about the temperature stall-outs and such. I will just be patient when that happens. The end results seem to be worth it. This is going to be fun.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum mrmnjewel!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokeville

Quote from: watchdog56 on August 27, 2010, 08:23:27 AM

Also if you are doing a butt don't worry if it stalls around 160 for a couple of hours,it is supposed to do that.

Well, that was going to be my advice.

The 1st thing I learned about pork is that it does not seem to obey the Laws of thermodynamics!

But we forgive it because it tastes so darn good!

classicrockgriller

Congrats on the new smoker and good luck with your first smoke.

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?481-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=748#post748

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Sailor

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of folks here that can help you out if you have a question or 2.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

mrmnjewel

Well, it arrived. I assembled it, set it up, and it is seasoning as I write this. So far, so good. Tomorrow, I am going to prepare the pork shoulder with a rub and will smoke it on Sunday. Will keep you informed.

Smokeville

Simply start early and be patient!

Good eats will follow.

Rich

Uncle Pigfat

Congrats, and may there be many more nights of pre-smoke geeking.  Good luck with the shoulder.  You're going to love it.  Just remember, it's done when it's done.