Vacuum packing fresh smoked salmon etc

Started by Smokeville, August 29, 2010, 07:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hey folks;

If you smoke some salmon pieces today, and vacuum pack it using a Foodsaver, how long would you expect it to last in the fridge?

Yes, I know the smart-ass answer is "about 15 minutes..."

Thanks, Rich

oakrdrzfan

i have had it vac packed in fridge for 3 months.  Have some now that is close to a month.

3rensho

I've never stored it in the refer more than 24 hours after (cold) smoking.  I freeze it then after vacuum packing.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

tsquared

x2 what 3rensho says which begs the question: What kind of smoking did you do? hot or cold?
T2

Smokeville

Good point.... I'm talking hot smoked.

Rich

tsquared

I've got some hot smoked strips of sockeye that are in a sealed container which I have had in the fridge since smoking them about a week ago--I wouldn't worry about them for a week or more. As a matter of fact, tonight we are having garden vegies--squash, broad beans, corn and kale with fresh bread and butter and a few strips of smoked sockeye--that's dinner!! (How I do love summertime!)
T2

Quarlow

I always vacseal and freeze. I guess that didn't help much EH.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

moodyfisherman

I unintentionally pulled a package of smoked chum salmon out to the (fridge) almost 6 months after smoking, vacuum packed and it was the hit at work. I would not do it for that long on purpose, but it was  money mixed with cream cheese. ;D
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

Kummok

Freezing is always best for anything longer than a few days but if it sneaks to the back and you don't find it for a few weeks, I've always treated it like cheese....if it's gooey, toss it....if it has a few mold spots on it, cut 'em off and eat....but that's just me....reading my previous posts of this sort will demonstrate to you that you might not want to do as I do....these habits have left me pretty bald! ;)