Pork Tenderloin Two Ways

Started by ArnieM, August 30, 2010, 08:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Both were marinated for about 18 hours.

One was in Italian salad dressing with added garlic.  I'll call it the Italian one.

The other was marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic.  I'll call this the Asian one.

I toasted up some white sesame seeds and yellow mustard seeds in about a 5:1 ratio; enough to coat.  I let the seeds cool.

Both tenderloins were taken out of the marinade and wiped fairly dry. 

The Italian one was wrapped in bacon with a sprinkle of oregano, granulated garlic and onion powder.

The Asian one was rolled in the sesame and mustard seed mix.

Both went back into the fridge to dry a little and set up.

I used the Old Smokey because I wanted to smoke/cook at a higher temp than the OBS could provide.  The smoke came from crumbled apple bisquettes.

Into the smoker.

About a half hour into the smoke/cook.  No preheat.

Time to come out.

Resting.

Dinner.  Used the Asian.  The slice on the far right was the Italian - had to try it.  Julienne zucchini and cucumber with an Asian-style dressing, brown rice with diced sun-dried tomato, hot banana pepper and soy sauce and a garden tomato.  The pork was a bit overcooked for me.  It really went fast toward the end.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TestRocket

They look good! Was one better tasting then the other?

KevinG

I do my venison the italian way and they are very tasty! Looks good Arnie.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Quote from: TestRocket on August 30, 2010, 09:20:11 AM
They look good! Was one better tasting then the other?

I can't say "better" but different.  Of course one has BACON.  The sesame seed mix was nice too.
-- Arnie

TestRocket

Now the best of both is bacon and sesame seeds? I like them both but they go together?

Tenpoint5

Now that just makes me hungry!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

squirtthecat

That Old Smokey is a neat little machine...    Does it hold the temps fairly well?

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 30, 2010, 11:15:02 AM

That Old Smokey is a neat little machine...    Does it hold the temps fairly well?

It does hold temp pretty well.  The controller is like an electric fry pan; it's thermostatically controlled. 

I just ran it on high because the cook time was so short, less than an hour.

I've gotten it dialed into about 265 before for a longer cook and it held about +/- 2-3 degrees.

It's uninsulated so keep the cats away  ;D
-- Arnie