Selectable temperature (Testing complete)/Plans

Started by msiler, March 18, 2004, 07:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

What I used was an oven controller. Although it cost me $50 plus tax just for that and about $15 plus tax for other bits and pieces. I can offer some help for others who would like to do the same or I could be convinced to do the labor and sell a few. And yes come to think of it I do have a paypal account.... Before i would sell any i would have to research to see if i can get cost down some more.

When in doubt smoke it.

Kummok

Here in Homer, D Cell batteries are considered high tech!! Finding an oven controller would mean looking for the impossible at the one Safeway store in town[:(] Besides, I'm one of those that believes that electricity is magic so I'll keep watching for your finished product and compete to be your first customer[;)][:D]

When you perfect the temp controller, you could develop a linked timer so it could be set to incrementally raise the temp the way I do manually now for fish[:D][:D] Course, I guess that would pretty much spoil us rotten, but what a challenge, eh!?!?[;)][:D][8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />so I'll keep watching for your finished product and compete to be your first customer[;)][:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Back of the line Mister[:(!], we've been asking for weeks![:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

snapper39

msiler I have the oven controler I have just been a little nervous about attempting to wire it. Should I experiment with another electronic device (light bulb etc) and keep blowing fuses till I get it right? What do you suggest?
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Oldman

Bradley ought to be paying R&D for this. [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

msiler

Snap

Do you have the wiring diagram for the controller? If so it should be fairly easy depending on you abilities if not I would not recomend trial and error. It is not rocket science but could cause a real problem if not done correctly.

When in doubt smoke it.

Oldman

A thought here.... if you are using home type instead of commercial temp. controller you might find that the temp will vary up to 10 degree both ways from your setting.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

Ok M....it's been awhile since I've been back to this topic, so I was wondering how your experimentation is doing thus far...

Have you reached a final product?
Results?  
Electrical (circuit breaker/fuse) issues?
Final cost (please to include labor cuz time is money too)?

If you need to make more and have available testers, I think there is Kummok, Chez, Fuzzy, Olds, Snapper all willing to "test" your product before you mass market hee hee! - You know, just to make sure they work properly in the field and different climatic environments around the country....

Maybe just print up the plans and sell the plans?? (To Bradley?)

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

snapper39

Olds you are correct, the thermostat may be off by up to twenty degrees. Once you understand how much it is off the you adjust accordingly. I dont think it will evr take away from a seperate thermometer. I plan to set mine (when I figure out how to wire it) with a thermometer ignoring what the dial says and go from there. Besides when you buy one of these thermostats the numbers for the dial are not even stuck on you have to do it yourself, I think so you can calibrate the temp before sticking it on ???
Olds I'm travelling to FLA for four days on business. leave Wednesday, maybe I'll stop for some of that ham you keep talkin about. (kidding)
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Kummok

CB:
Buying stuff from Alaska IS pretty much "the back of the line"...by the time it gets here the frieght costs more than the item and it's already an antique[;)][;)][;)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

msiler

the thermostat I used is calibratable and near as i can tell holds temp within about 2 degrees. Of course i was not standing over it at all times just checking periodicaly.

When in doubt smoke it.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />CB:
Buying stuff from Alaska IS pretty much "the back of the line"...by the time it gets here the frieght costs more than the item and it's already an antique[;)][;)][;)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Any "newfangled thangs" you'd like me to bring along?[:)]

BTW, congrats on becoming a centenarian.[:D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

If memory servers me correctly thermostat etc. for commercial equipment are closer on the money. Varying from 3 to 5 degrees.

msiler

Ok I am ready to call testing complete and share plans...
Sorry it took so long folks.

It does seem to have extended my cook time somewhat.... Probably due to better control ie. no overtemp excursions etc.

The way I have wired it there are no modifications to the smoker just plug it in between the smoke generator and the main box and run the probe in through the vent and hang with some stainless wire. I looped the extra capillary tube and stored it under the back cover.

I also limited travel of the temp knob on mine as to not be able to accidently overtemp, I did this with a small pin drilled into the knob and another into the face of the box.

If you do not feel up to this task and still want one let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

Parts required:

1 Oven thermostat Part No. RS-5430-175
1 computer cord make sure it's same gauge or heavier than smoker cord
1 box at least 3x3x2 internal dimensions
solder and heat shrink

Here is the wiring diagram

When in doubt smoke it.