Smoking Sturgeon questions

Started by dreys50, September 02, 2010, 07:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreys50

I have some nice sturgeon meat that I was planning on smoking. I saw a short thread about this, but the question was never answered if brine would work with sturgeon. Has anyone come to a conclusion about this?

I will likely use Kummoks salmon method, but I was also wondering if a trout brine would be well suited for sturgeon as well?

I very well may give both a try if I can find an answer about brining.

Thanks!

dreys50

Follow-up in case any one is curious-

Brining works just fine on the Sturgeon, I used a trout recipie for my first try and it came out great. Will be trying the salmon brine next.

iceman

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the trout brine would be the ticket. Keep us posted on the salmon brine if you get around to it.

Thunder Fish

Never have smoked any as they are catch and release only here now,had some at a restaurant years ago that was quite good

dreys50

Quote from: Thunder Fish on September 14, 2010, 03:43:12 PM
Never have smoked any as they are catch and release only here now,had some at a restaurant years ago that was quite good

If anyone is in SW Florida (Tampa area), I have a relative that works at a marine lab that farms Siberian Sturgeon as part of a sustainable food program. Filets are available through the lab for local pickup. I paid the price and had it overnighted up north to give it a try. Feel free to PM me if anyone needs info.