Braising Ribs

Started by chefrobert, June 22, 2005, 11:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chefrobert

I just got my BS last week & just cooked 2 racks of spare ribs. At max all the way to the right the temp. never got above 220-225. I used a dry rub & removed the silver skin from the back. I cooked the ribs for 4 hours. When I pulled them they were cooked but no way near as tender as I like to get them & they were extremely dry. The next day I put them in the oven with some apple juice and they came out tender and I finished them on the grill with my sauce. They were great.

After reading all the post on ribs and other meats done in the smoker most of the posts say smoke for so many hours at such & such a temperature then remove the ribs & wrap in aluminum with some apple juice and place back in the smoker for another 2 - 3 hours. To me this is neither smoking or grilling it is a technique called braising. To me if this is the recomended technique I have no problem following it. I don't think there is a real differance between putting the aluminum covered ribs in the bradely smoker or a conventional oven for the same length of time and at the same temp.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks Chef Robert

Habanero Smoker

You are correct that placing the meat in a small amount of liquid, sealing it tight, and cooking low and slow is a technique called braising.  I'm not sure if most post recommend that technique for other meats, but I don't use that method when I am smoking.

I don't see any issues with finishing your food off in an oven the way you described, or in the BS as others describe. I try to avoid getting hung up on terminology. To me there is nothing wrong with combining various techniques to cook food.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)