Darn good salmon, Kummok

Started by Smokeville, September 02, 2010, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

So I finally tried the Kummok Recipe.... With much fear and trepidation I thought a Quart of soya sauce??? 2LB of brown sugar!!!!! He has got to be nuts. So I halved the amount of soya and brown sugar......

It came out of the smoker, with no boogers..... and my dear wife tried it and said "$#%^&%^ that's good!"

She is a Pastor's Wife so she really said "Darn it, that's good....."

And, it was with Atlantic Salmon.

We will be selling it Saturday at the Farmers' Market as "Kummok's Special" or some such wording.

With thanks, Rich

Kummok

Glad it turned well out for you, Rich....but, dang, now that I know the recipe is being used on farmed salmon, I'm gonna have to take the recipe off the forum!?!?  ;) ;) ;D  Wait a second....you just said "Atlantic Salmon", not "farmed Atlantic Salmon"......guess I can leave it up there after all!  ;)

Re: the 2 lbs of brown sugar.....my wife "helped" me mix the brine one time while I was busily whacking up the salmon, misread the package and dumped 4 pounds in instead of two pounds....turned out the sweetest smoked salmon CANDY I'd ever made! :-\

Smokeville

Well, i did have some Sockeye but I was afraid to use it because I was so skeptical.

So the Farmed Atlantic Salmon was the stand in....

That means it can only get better!

Kummok

Good sacrificial meat to experiment with... ;)  But you've skipped Pink, Chum & Silver to get to Sockeye....you don't mess around!  ;)  Just wait 'til you move to the top of the food chain with Kings!  :) :)  (Some will rightfully debate whether Silver, Reds or Kings belong the top spot but my vote is always for big FAT feeder Kings....steered North once in a while by my good buddies in BC!)

tsquared

Quote(Some will rightfully debate whether Silver, Reds or Kings belong the top spot but my vote is always for big FAT feeder Kings.
No way, my Alaskan friend! You gotta have sox in the box!! ;D ;D
T2

Smokeville

I skipped the rest because Sockeye is cheaper than Atlantic here in Ontario right now. I picked a pile up at $5.99/lb.

But I do have a pile of White Kings in the freezer too.

BTW, I have been retested (after 35 years) for my allergies to salmon and shellfish. I am hardly allergic at all, so to confirm this the Doc has sent me for a blood test. I'll know in 2 weeks. This, to me, is stellar good news.

Kummok

Okay T2....keep the Reds and just send the Kings north.  ;) ;D

Smokeville....that is exceptionally great news, Rich!! 35 years without salmon is too much for me to even try to comprehend so I'll just say "Welcome back to the top of the food chain!" and await more good reports from you.....

Smokeville

Thanks, Kummok.

Starting to "smoke" has changed almost all my eating habits, much to my doctor's delight. I used to love beef above all else. I did not enjoy pork unless it was Greek souvlaki.

Now, I can't get enough pork -- especially pulled pork -- and smoked chicken tastes like heaven. For fish, I get trout, which I enjoy.

To be able to eat salmon will be great. It will also end a dispute--- when my wife and I go out to dinner, she will invariably order something with salmon. Then when our meals arrive she will politely ask, "Can I have a taste of your......"

Rich

Kummok

Quote from: Smokeville on September 06, 2010, 07:05:19 AM
--- when my wife and I go out to dinner, she will invariably order something with salmon. Then when our meals arrive she will politely ask, "Can I have a taste of your......"

LOL! :D :D  Smart wife!