Smoking my first Butt this weekend... need some pointers from the pros!

Started by TheBoz, August 27, 2010, 12:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBoz

Hello Smokers,

I'm smoking my first Pork Butt this weekend and I need some pointers from people that know what they're doing.  I plan to smoke at 225 and shoot for a internal temp of 190.
Here are my questions:

1. How many hours of smoke?

2. Do I need to trim the fat before cooking or should I leave it on.  Anything need trimming at the end?  Should the Fat be on top or bottom while cooking?

3. Should I baste or spritz it during the smoke or leave it alone?  Should I sauce it before or after FTC?

4. How often do you rotate, if any?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Phil

EZ Smoker

1.  Many people use 4 hours of smoke on a butt.  I've heard of people using less, and quite a number of folks use more.  I use 7.

2.  I never trim a butt at all.  I do put the rub on at least a few hours before it's going in the smoker, to let it sit in the fridge and absorb the rub.  Once you dig into the butt, you may find some fat places you want to remove, but I don't really do any trimming.    As for putting the fat on the top or bottom, some say the bottom because it shields the meat from direct heat, but some say the top because the fat is rendered and drips through the meat, leaving wonderful flavor in the meat.  I always put the fat at the top, but that's a point of contention, and you can find great BBQers who do it each way.

3.  Some would probably say yes to basting or spritzing, but for me... no.  I leave a butt alone and let it do its thing.   Opening the door will only slow you down.  My opinion.  As far as sauce is concerned, I wouldn't sauce a butt until after I pull it apart.  I'd do it at the table while eating.  (This assumes you're making pulled pork.  If, OTOH, you're slicing it or something like that... I still wouldn't add sauce until you cut into it.)

4.  If you're cooking more than one butt, on more than one rack, then I rotate top to bottom and front to back every 4 hours or so.   But I don't think you necessarily need to keep a tight schedule on that, especially in the early going.    If only one rack, then you might as well spin it 180 degrees for even cooking every few hours or so.

Be aware that there is a very long stall in the rising of the IT before you get to 190.   You might get to IT 145 in 2-3 hours, but then it slows down considerably.  Cooking at 225*, it could take 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.  Of course every butt is different.   The first 2 butts I did got up to 190 well before I expected them too, but some have seemed to take forever.    I'd allow for 3.5-4 hours of FTC in your planning so that if you need to adjust FTC time by 2 hours or so to fit your meal schedule, you'll have that flexibility.   If it gets ready too early, it won't hurt you to leave it in past 190*.   Some people take butts a little higher than 190 (some as high as 205, but don't go any higher than that.).  I've gone as high as 197 and the butt was wonderful.    Really a pretty forgiving cut of meat.

Let us know how it goes.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Uncle Pigfat

Looks like EZ gave you some great advice.  As for the fat, when I'm applying rub before I dry marinade the butt, I like to score the fat (just lightly, not too deep) and really press the rub into the channels to allow rub to penetrate and work some flavor a little deeper than it would otherwise go.

Good luck and have fun!

Sailor

The other important thing to do is to take photos and share with us.  Love to see a good smoke and the results  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

FLBentRider

Great advice so far.

I'll second the rotate racks - top to bottom and front to back.

Other than that, leave the door closed.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

Pulled Pork directions.
•   Apply a thin coat of yellow mustard, 
•   Apply rub, you can do this the day before and frig overnight - I like to do this about two hours before and I will use a apple juice mixture and inject the butt just like you would a turkey.
•   Make sure the smoker is preheated to around 250-275 because once you open the door and set the meat on the rack you oven will drop. Make sure that you rest your butt with the fat side up, this will allow juices to flow through the meat. Keep an eye on this since you want to smoke between 225-250 degrees.
•   I normally don't even look at this for about 4-5 hours and at that time I will open the door and insert my digital thermometer and close the door until the butt is 165 degree
•   At this time I will begin to mop this with a vinegar base solution every hour. (turning the racks front to back and if doing more than one top to bottom)
•   Once the pork reaches 190 degree I will take it out and rest it on a bed of foil, then pour some of the mop over top and seal the foil.
•   At this point I will then set in my cooler wrapped in foil and several towels for 2-3 hours.
•   Bring the butt inside and unwrap, if you like bbq sauce you want to coat a fine layer at this junction, and begin pulling.
•   I then use my bear claws or you can use two forks to pull the meat apart into chunks. Make sure to add in the bark, the dark brown layer, for added flavor. I have to say that because I have seen folks discard the outside bark thinking it is burnt or something. It is the best part.
•   I don't normally add the bbq sauce on this but if I do it is a small amount – I allow the user to do so.
•   I serve on a bun with homemade coleslaw

I hope this helped and remember Just Have Fun!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TheBoz

Thanks guys!!!  I'm getting excited.  I plan to start at 6pm tonight!  I'll send some pictures of a nice looking butt...  ;D

squirtthecat

Keep an eye that your water dish doesn't run dry..

I swapped mine out for a foil cake pan. (bend it down a bit to fit under the heater)   Either way - dump it and the pucks and refill before you go to bed.  Check the water again in the morning.

watchdog56

I put some mustard and rub on the night before. Preheat smoker to 250 then turn down to 225. Smoke 4 hours with hickory rotating racks after 2 hours. Replace water pan when smoke is done with  a large foil tray and leave in smoker with just the tower running overnight until IT is 185-190. Rotate racks once during night about 1/2 way through. Take out of smoker and FTC for a couple of hours. Made it 3 times like this and every time it turned out great.

Carter

I used to do the mustard rub, then a couple of weeks ago I bought an 8 pound butt and was busy so just threw on the Renowned Mr. Brown and popped it right in the Smoker without any sit time.  It worked out great.  Like someone said earlier, butt is really forgiving.  I always give myself 2 hours a pound.  It varies.  The 8 pounder I just did  went on at 9am and was at 185 by about 5:30pm, much shorter than the 16 hours I was expecting.  Our party was at 3pm the next day so I pulled it and stored it in the fridge.  The next day I re-heated it on the gas BBQ and started adding the vinegar based sauce to keep things moist.  It was delicous and I didn't hear any complaints as people went for seconds.

I think your guests are going to love it.

Carter

DTAggie

Welcome Boz.  EZ and the boys gave you great advice.  Did a butt last weekend with a CT clone soak the the Renowned Mr. Brown.  The block party loved it.  I pulled it and split into to foil pans.  In one I prepared some Vaunted Vinegar and stirred to taste.  This pan for sure got the highest comments from party goers!

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?124-Vaunted-Vinegar-Sauce-For-Pulled-Pork

TheBoz

The Butt Turned out Awesome!!!  Here's a final pic with my dog begging for scraps...

classicrockgriller

KyNola

Great looking butt Boz!

I'm pretty sure I can smell the smoke from here.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little