hi

Started by kaskiles, September 13, 2010, 11:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaskiles

Hi,

I joined a couple weeks ago after finding the site while searching for cleaning methods for my OBS.  Great site, and I think it's quickly educated me on my major error in using the OBS.

After using the OBS for around 2 years (maybe 50 or 75 cooks), I was getting a runny, dark, creosote tasking liquid on the top of meat in the center of the topmost shelf.  I assumed I needed to fully clean the inside of my OBS.

Anyway, after reading on here, I noted that the top vent should be 3/4 to fully open for most cooks.  I was leaving it open just a hair (cracked less than 1/4 ") for all my cooks.  I now believe this was causing moisture to condense up in the vent cap, and then drip back down (over the build up) on the the food.

I decided to fully clean the inside of the cooker anyway; tried simple green, easy off and then the Dawn Power Dissolver (from this site).  Power Dissolver worked the best; but still took some serious elbow grease.  There is still some burnt on stuff I could even scrape off, but the bulk of the paint like layer of creosote is gone.

Now I'm looking forward to doing a pork shoulder using the techniques of this forum.

Thanks!
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum kaskiles!

I'm glad you found the vent information. I think we all get to learn that one at some point.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome! Glad you found us and were able to get the information you needed.  Now, hang around a while.

ArnieM

Hi kaskiles and welcome to the forum.  I always keep my vent wide open.  I'll probably remove it if I can pry it off  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum!

Enjoy and let the smoke roll.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

Welcome to the forum kaskiles,

We are glad to see you found us and at the same time are a little disappointed to have missed out on the PICS of "maybe 50 or 75 cooks".

Only because we like PICS!  ;D

And keep in mind help is but only a question away!

Happy smoking!

DTAggie

SmokeyDrew

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Kaskiles!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG