Last smoke of the weekend --Whole Turkey

Started by GusRobin, September 06, 2010, 08:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Did the butts, brisket, and pastrami on Saturday, spent the day with the wife Sunday, doing a 12 lb turkey today.

Brined it starting yesterday morning, took it out today

Splatchcocked the turkey, injected with
Scottie's Creole Butter

- ½ can of beer
- ½ lb. Butter
- 1 tsp. Mr Brown's Renown rub
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. White Pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Coleman's Mustard
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp. Tabasco

slathered with CT and then lightly sprinkled with Mr Brown's

Loaded in the OBS at 225# with 3 2/3 hours of equal # cherry and apple pucks. (vent wide open --of course I always keep it wide open no matter what I cook)

will post more later.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

A spatchcocked Turkey! That's a new twist.

I like it. I bet the cook time goes down.

GusRobin

I did itt with chicken and it worked great, so I figure why not with turkey. Today is a dry run for Thanksgiving. Next week I di the 20 lb pork leg into ham as practice for Christmas.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

classicrockgriller

I saw pics of that beast. Better get an extra 12 pk when you start smoking that thing.

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 06, 2010, 09:26:44 AM
I saw pics of that beast. Better get an extra 12 pk when you start smoking that thing.

I was thinking more like some Gentleman Jack sippin' whiskey

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GusRobin on September 06, 2010, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 06, 2010, 09:26:44 AM

I was thinking more like some Gentleman Jack sippin' whiskey

That works for me! ;D

GusRobin

Done for the day.

Pulled the turkey at 163* at 3:55pm. Total of just under 7 hours at 225*.

Have in FTC'd for a couple of hours. The gravy is simmering and potatoes are cooking.

The OBS (gonna have to give her a name soon) is all cleaned up and put to bed, resting up for next week.

Preview -COMING TO A SMOKER NEAR ME

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did this weekend.

SouthernSmoked

Awesome job!! Great Preview... I'm now waiting for the sequel.  :) ;) :D ;D

Two Thumbs Up
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

That's a pretty bird you got there Gus,

I've been watching from the sidelines (to much going on) to see how you came out (also with Thanksgiving in mind) and it looks like your turkey came out very well! I can't wait to talk to you in person about it (thanks to CRG for sending more bread starter) one day this week. Remind me to ask about the skin. I'm still trying to decide if I should use the Bradley alone or with the SRG? And I also wonder what the effect of FTC did to the skin?

See you soon!

GusRobin

The skin was just "okay". Wasn't soggy but wasn't crisp. Next time I will put in the oven for the last 10*. Otherwise, the smoke flavor was great. But actually it was such a cacophony of flavor I am not sure what did it. The CT slather, the Creole butter mix injection, or the Mr Brown rub. Either case, when they came together is was a great flavor. Next time I may experiment on the different halves,

Uncle Pigfat

Nice work.  I put mine in the oven for the last 5* but it wasn't enough.  The skin was edible but very tough.  I'll be pulling it from the bradley earlier next time to blast it in the oven longer as well.  Either way, yours looks delicious as was mine.  Turkey grease high 5!

classicrockgriller

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!