The Secret of Carolina Treet

Started by monty, September 07, 2010, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

so i opened up my 1st bottle of CT from Quarlow today and it hit me right away - i swear i have tried this before.

i couldn't quite put my finger on it...then it dawned on me...KRAFT FRENCH DRESSING! i'm not kidding - they are VERY similar. here are the ingredients:

Ingredients

Carolina Treet
Water, Vinegar, Wheat Flour, Salt, Soybean Oil, Paprika, Garlic, Onion, Xanthan Gum, Spices

Kraft French Dressing
Water, Sugar, Vinegar, Soybean Oil, Salt, Paprika, Mustard, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Potassium Sorbate, Spices, Dried Garlic, Colour, Calcium Disodium EDTA

so the dressing basically shares every ingredient except the flour, and it also has mustard and some other crap chemicals.

i'm not crazy - see for yourself  :D

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Tenpoint5

Sounds to me like your planning on adding some flour to the Kraft French and doing a side by side comparison. In other words your going to be the guinea pig and try this to help the CT handicapped folks out!! Keep us posted Monty you little pig you!! :D :D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Yeah, mix in some wheat flour and a ton of salt..

Interesting!

classicrockgriller

You figure out a clone to CT and you will make a bunch of people HAPPY.

Don't stop with the thought, go for it!

FLBentRider

I would start with a homemade french dressing recipe and mod from there.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Propylene Glycol Alginate?????????????????

AntiFreeze

GusRobin

From the "Straight Dope" website:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the "propylene glycol alginate" found in salad dressings?
January 1, 1980
Dear Cecil:

Why is "propylene glycol alginate" found in salad dressings? It sounds suspiciously similar to a famous antifreeze.

— Gary K., Phoenix

Cecil replies:

Propylene glycol alginate is used as a thickener and stabilizer in such products as ice cream and candy as well as salad dressing. Originally derived from brown algae and since mixed with a few other goodies, the chemical has been used for almost a century in one form or another. It's on the government's GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list, but that just means it's been around for a long time and hasn't killed enough people to be conspicuous. As with many additives, little long-term testing has been done. PGA does not accumulate in the body, which is mildly reassuring, but there is some evidence that it inhibits the absorption of whatever nutrients happen to be in the food product it's mixed in with. On the positive side, it also inhibits the absorption of strontium, one of the more toxic components of nuclear fallout ... something to keep in mind if you ever do menu planning the day after the Big One drops.
----------------------------------------------------

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 07, 2010, 01:27:44 PM
Propylene Glycol Alginate?????????????????

AntiFreeze
You mean Ethylene Glycol ?? ;)

Miralax (a stool softener  :o ) is almost pure propylene glycol.
Carolyn

BuyLowSellHigh

Ethylene glycol = old fashioned antifreeze - that will kill you fairly easily.  It's especially a problem around dog's who can't get enough of it, drink and  ...

Propylene glycol = new fashioned antifreeze, far less toxic.

Propylene glycol alginate is the C3-ester of alginic acid; alginic acid was first extracted from brown algae but is now commonly derived from kelp.  Alginic acid is a polysaccharides (sugar) that readily binds water forming thick gums.  In it's dried form alginic acid is capable of absorbing more than 200-times it's weight in water.  Esterification with propylene glycol (hence propylene glycol alginate) allows custom "tailoring" of the thickening/emulsification properties of alginic acid.  Propylene glycol alginate is a commom food additive used as a an emulsifier/stabilizer and thickener.  In a salad dressing it keeps it from separating and gives that smooth, creamy product.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on September 07, 2010, 08:17:30 PM
Ethylene glycol = old fashioned antifreeze - that will kill you fairly easily.  It's especially a problem around dog's who can't get enough of it, drink and  ...

Propylene glycol = new fashioned antifreeze, far less toxic.

Propylene glycol alginate is the C3-ester of alginic acid; alginic acid was first extracted from brown algae but is now commonly derived from kelp.  Alginic acid is a polysaccharides (sugar) that readily binds water forming thick gums.  In it's dried form alginic acid is capable of absorbing more than 200-times it's weight in water.  Esterification with propylene glycol (hence propylene glycol alginate) allows custom "tailoring" of the thickening/emulsification properties of alginic acid.  Propylene glycol alginate is a commom food additive used as a an emulsifier/stabilizer and thickener.  In a salad dressing it keeps it from separating and gives that smooth, creamy product.

Dang Chemists they take all the fun out of things!! Can't start any nasty rumors with them around. ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Gonna loosen his tie when we meet up for lunch tomorrow! ;D

Should be fun!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 07, 2010, 08:52:54 PM
Dang Chemists they take all the fun out of things!! Can't start any nasty rumors with them around. ;D ;D

Just remember, all chemists are nothing more than frustrated bartenders at heart.  Everyone thinks we're no fun, until it comes time to mix the punch.   ;D

And BTW, I don't need no stinkin' necktie!

squirtthecat

I might pick up some Annie's Naturals French dressing today and try this out..

BTW, if you Google 'French Dressing', watch out which links you click on.  :o

BuyLowSellHigh

;D   ...  Nope, not going there,  too easy.