Bradley Protection

Started by Sacrifice, June 25, 2005, 11:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sacrifice

As I am sitting here with a pork butt in the smoker (now at 181 degrees [8D]), I remembered reading other forum members discussions on how to protect the Bradley from wind and rain.  Because of where I live, in a temperate rain forest, I usually end up smoking while it is raining, windy, snowing, or freezing about 50 percent of the time.  

One day, whole putting my plants outside to harden them off, I looked at my mini-greenhouse and thought that would be a great place to smoke in bad weather conditions.  So, I took out the two middle racks of the greenhouse and placed my Bradley in there, where it now resides 24/7.  The protection is great, as the front has a zippered closure, and I no longer have to lug the Bradley from the garage to the upper deck, where my kitchen is. Also, the plastic outer layer adds some insulating effects when it is cold outside.  The Procom also sits neatly on top on one of the racks. Total cost was about $49 for the greenhouse.  And, there are wheels - mmm wheels. Anyway, here is a picture:

nsxbill

Good idea!  Maybe you will sprout some more Bradleys!

I am paranoid about the Procom, so I always bring it in.  

Don't you just love the Procom4!  Best thing besides buttered bread!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Sacrifice

Actually, I bring the Procom and all of the electronics in.  I also bring the racks and such in and keep everything on one place.  I just leave the Bradley and smoke generator outside.

Yes, I love the Procom.  If I did not have it I would probably only smoke chicken and ribs, because I would be afraid to leave something in to smoke ofernight.  The temperature range from day to night (or hour to hour) here can be huge, and I know that the Bradley could not keep up without the Procom. And, who can argue with 3 temperature probes that are accurate.

Oldman

Looks nice... dumb question here: What happens when a rain comes up on you while you are smokin'?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Sacrifice

If it starts raining I either roll the smoker into a position that faces the house and is under the eves, as I have a sliding glass door off my dining room that exits to the deck where the smoker is, or I zip the door down a few inches, leaving the majority of the door unzipped for ventilation.  So far the smoker has remained perfectly dry and the Procom is always under the roof of the greenhouse, so is always safe (so far).

car54

I too have made a weather proof enclosure that is set up and ready to go all the time. It is next to my back door. Here is my version

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Nice work car54!

I like your set up also Sacrafice! Both look very handy and easy to work with.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Arcs_n_Sparks

Car54,

What is the small box on the right side of the smoker? Temp control?

car54

That is a 500 watt auxiliary heater. At times I'll smoke 35 lbs of butt and it hepls bring the temperature up faster.

Here is a picture of the Guru Power Raptor.

Habanero Smoker

Car54;

How are you venting the smoke from your cabinet. I am planning on building a cabinet for my BS, and I'm going to mount the cabinet on wheels. If I need to move it to a different location, the wheels will make life a little easier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

A roof vent slighly above the Bradley vent.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. Your photo saved me a bunch of time on how and what to use to vent smoke and moisture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman

Excellent venting idea... [^]

Olds

Habanero Smoker

Car54;

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a cabinet to house my BS. Can you share the approximate inside dimensions of your cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.