And so it begins-----

Started by GusRobin, September 11, 2010, 04:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Started the ham this morning.
I have been using 10.5s recipe (or trying to)

Brined it for 7 days, and here it is out of the brine and ready to rinse

Did a dry run last night just to make sure everything fit. Found out that in the OBS I couldn't hang it from a dowel on the top rack guides as the ham was too long. I bought a small "s" hook to hang it from the vent. Put the hook on the grill last night for an hour to burn off any of the galvanized stuff. Plan was to  hook the netting, thru the vent and hook on to a dowel resting across the top of the Bradley. Hooked it fine, but the problem was that the knot at the bottom of the netting was touching the V tray. Didn't think that was a very good idea. So took it down and hooked the netting lower on the ham and hooked to the top of the Bradley through the vent with no dowel. This left enough clearance so I could slip in the bottom rack. I like the idea of a little extra holding the weight of the ham as I had a concern as to how strong the netting was and after so many hours would the weight make it droop and hit the v tray.
The other problem I had was the wall mounted PID probe was in the way. So I removed it, put a bolt in to cover the hole and will use the probe as a hanging probe. (If you are going to order the PID, get the hanging probe!!).
Dry run finished and all problems solved. Put the ham back in the fridge. Got up this morning at 5:30 and started things going. Ham in the smoker at 5:50am, PID set at 120 for 11 hours; then at 120 for 1 hour (SG set to start at this time); then at 140 for 8 hrs of Hickory smoke; then at 170 until IT hits 152. (With the OBS, you gotta love the dual probe PID).
Have the PID probe hanging near the botom of the ham and the maverick probe near the middle in the rear. Seeing a 10# diference in the readings, probably do to the higher heat in the rear. As the cabinent has reached 120 and starting to even out the differential is dropping a bit.
Anyway, I ramble. Time to go back to sleep.
Pic of the pork leg starting its journey to hamdom.

More to come later.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

This is going to be good!!! I can taste it already.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Nice...    Look at that load of wood in the chute!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 11, 2010, 07:00:07 AM

Nice...    Look at that load of wood in the chute!

8 hours of continuous smoke after a 12 hour drying period Squirt.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Gus
I forgot to ask. Did you inject the ham? Or is that the trying to in "I have been using 10.5s recipe (or trying to)"?

GusRobin

Soaked it and injected it. The "trying to" is that I am certain on a 30 hr smoke I will screw something up - but that is part of the fun. Great day to do it, --got a starter from Sonny that is being fed, a new pressure canner to can some of my BBQ sauce, ham cooking in the Bradley, a fridge full of beer, a new bottle of Gentleman Jack, and probably one of the best weekends in college football as far as the number of good games on. doesn't get much better than this. (well, if I win the lottery tonight then it would be perfect)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

squirtthecat

Oh yeah, I'm going to watch this one closely...

Tenpoint5

You won't screw anything up at least with the Bradley you have it on Auto Pilot and all you have to do is walk by and check on it every now and then. The rest of the projects may be greatly influenced by Adultry Beverage consumption.

ArnieM

Looks like an interesting project Gus.  I'll be following along on this too.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

GusRobin

QuoteYou won't screw anything up at least with the Bradley you have it on Auto Pilot strategically adjusted and all you have to do is walk by and check on it every now and then and periodically monitor and evaluate progress. The rest of the projects may be greatly influenced by require extensive hydration consisting of Adultry Beverage consumption due to the energy exerted .

See above corrections - lets not make it sound too easy then I will have to do honey-dos instead of "slaving" over a hot smoker.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: GusRobin on September 11, 2010, 08:02:23 AM
QuoteYou won't screw anything up at least with the Bradley you have it on Auto Pilot strategically adjusted and all you have to do is walk by and check on it every now and then and periodically monitor and evaluate progress. The rest of the projects may be greatly influenced by require extensive hydration consisting of Adultry Beverage consumption due to the energy exerted .

See above corrections - lets not make it sound too easy then I will have to do honey-dos instead of "slaving" over a hot smoker.

Brother Caneyscud will be so Proud of you!!

iceman

Yer maken us all pround here Gus.  ;D ;)

SouthernSmoked

Oh yeah!!

This one will be closely watched...
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

GusRobin

Updates:

Started pouring rain, good thing I have the house

Things to do during a 30 hour ham cook:
Make BBQ sauce

Pressure Canning the sauce

The sauce canned and cooling

Watch football

Maintaining surveillence and proper hydration (tough job but someone has to do it.)

Made dinner with creamy cole slaw, brisket from the other day heated in the slow cooker with au jus and beef broth; some of the BBQ sauce on the side (ate the corn on the cob before I had a chance to take a picture)

Meanwhile the smoking has started..

more updates to follow::

ROLL TIDE

Quarlow

Nice job Gus. And it was funny when you posted the pics of your Bradley house, cause about 2 weeks before that I had drawn up plans for my Bradley townhouse and they were almost the same as yours. I had 2 doors on the left side and had figured to use a stainless steel top for a work surface. When I saw yours I realized how big mine would be and immediately removed one of the doors. I also had planned to have the smoker on a pull-out drawer with room beside it for the cold smoker attachment to sit on with a drawer under that for my pucks and stuff. The similarity was uncanny. I didn't know what I would use to cover the sides though, so when I get around to building mine that may be what sets them apart cause I don't want to copy you but that ply sheathing you used looks great.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.