And so it begins-----

Started by GusRobin, September 11, 2010, 04:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Quotecause I don't want to copy you but that ply sheathing you used looks great.

Feel free to copy away, all or part. I'd post the plans but I kind of did it on the fly. I have posted the dimensions if you need them. I thought about a pull out shelf but was concerned that I could accidentally tip it over.

I put the second door on the left to have a work surface and to have a place for the cold smoker when I cold smoke. It stores under the smoker when not in use.

When cold smoking the SG and cold smoke box are on a raised shelf on the left. I did this so I wouldn't have to bend much to change the water in the cold smoke puck pan.(lazy)

Either configuration can be shut closed if the rain interupts the smoke - that was my main intent so I don't have to worry about the weather. But yeah, it is big.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Thanks Gus. You know what they say, The surest form of flattery is to be copied or something like that. I have got to get one of those pocket hole jigs though. I have been eyeing up the Kreg system. It is so cool.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

Dang, every time I see that I think "how cool is that!"

Q, copy his dimensions, but put in some chrome and Diamond Plate...   :D

Quarlow

I was thinking racing stripes and flames. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

GusRobin

UPDATE UPDATE

16 hours into the smoke, half way thru the smoke portion. I decided to change out the water pan and this is what the ham looks like (IT at 112)

Next update probably in the morning.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Quarlow

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmm I have to keep pausing to catch my breath Mmmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmm woops almost passed out there.

OBS
BBQ

Tenpoint5

I see that picture and my brain says "Dang that smells good!!" I usually do most of my smoking in the garage with a walk-through door as my ventilation and the the garage smells like that for a couple of weeks. Until you do a ham you just don't know how good it smells inside your smoker IMHO
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

UPDATE UPDATE

27 hours into the smoke and the ham is at 136#; been there a while so I guess we are in a stall.

more to come later.

Tenpoint5

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Tenpoint5

Quote from: GusRobin on September 12, 2010, 06:03:42 AM
UPDATE UPDATE

27 hours into the smoke and the ham is at 136#; been there a while so I guess we are in a stall.
more to come later.

The stall!! Oh yes I remember. Just be glad yours is happening during the day. Mine always seems to be at about 3am when I am really wanting to go to bed. Its a timing thing I always forget when I should start the whole smoking process.

GusRobin

yeah, based upon your previous post on making a ham, I tried to time it such that it would hit its stall early in the morning. In case it didn't stall long I had the maverick alarm set and next to the bed plus the PID set for the last ramp up to complete at IT not time. Now the problem with the stall is not the lack of being able to sleep, its the anxiety of trying to wait for a nice hot slice of ham.

Uncle Pigfat

I'm completely enthralled with this.  A ham has been on my to do list since day one.  I may have to bump it up.

GusRobin

Once I had it set up I can't believe how easy it is. While it takes a long prep time (5-10 days of brining, 30 hrs scooking) the actual ding work time is very little. Especially with the dual PID.If I wasn't like a little kid a christmas and having to peek all the time, there really isn't much to it. Staying semi sober was the hardest part so far.

GusRobin

Final Update:
It was finally done at 1:00 PM (31 hours)

Pulled from the smoker

Starting to slice and ready for the feeding frenzy:

After the piranhas

Actually this was a test run for Christmas, so I made a 20lb ham even though there is only the wife and myself. So I am giving some away and freezing some.

Final thoughts:
It was easier than I thought (thanks for the assistance 10.5).
If you are going to do this, make sure that you buy one that fits in your smoker. Mine was a close fit.
Finding netting was not as easy as I thought. The few places I called only sold it in cases or large rolls. I was lucky to find a nice lady that sent me a sample large enough to use.
A 30 hr smoke requires planning, not of the smoke but what to do with your time.
I can't drink for 30 hrs straight like I could in my younger days. (gave it a good try though ;D)
Can't wait until Christmas to do it again.