And so it begins-----

Started by GusRobin, September 11, 2010, 04:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

Well done Gus, a true thing of beauty.  I plan on having some fresh wild pig soon ( with a little good luck and a good shooting eye ).  I will do pulled pork shoulders, and now you have me thinking smoked ham.  I found a recipe from Hab's but would also like to check out 10.5.  Is that posted somewhere?  Thanks
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

iceman

Quote from: OldHickory on September 13, 2010, 03:33:44 PM
Well done Gus, a true thing of beauty.  I plan on having some fresh wild pig soon ( with a little good luck and a good shooting eye ).  I will do pulled pork shoulders, and now you have me thinking smoked ham.  I found a recipe from Hab's but would also like to check out 10.5.  Is that posted somewhere?  Thanks

I would like to get that recipe too if 10.5 has a hankering to let loose with it. Could be some sauce horse trading happening in the future. Yes I CAN see the future. (Well after a few cold ones anyhow).  :o  ;D

Pachanga

GusRobin (with a shout out to TenPoint),

I am drinking a cool nectar of the gods to that smoke.

In fact, I will raise a twelve pack to it.

Very, very, very nice to both of you.

Good luck and very very slow smoking,

Pachanga

GusRobin

QuoteWhat was in your cure?

QuoteI would like to get that recipe too if 10.5 has a hankering to let loose with it.

The recipe is below(including the brine). Don't think its a secret since it was posted in this thread:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8442.0

Here it is:

QuoteHere is the recipe that I follow when I do Hams. It is
a long process and a long smoke but it is worth every minute of your time!!

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*

Since the container I used to brine was rather large, it took more than 5 qts of water. I put the leg in the container and measured the water amount as I put the water in and adjusted the qty of ingrediants accordingly. Make sure to account for the amount of brine you will need for injecting the leg.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

So what did you do with that dinosaur bone out of that Ham?

hal4uk

Just catching up here...
We had company this weekend; the in-laws stopped here on the way home from a week trip all over the "plains" - they went everywhere from Mt Rushmore, to Wyoming, to Nebraska (they were at that Nebraska football game where the score was showing on your TV)...

Anyhow... WOW...  GREAT LOOKING HAM!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 13, 2010, 06:32:04 PM
So what did you do with that dinosaur bone out of that Ham?

Bagged it and threw it in the freezer. Will give it to my daughter's dog when the come home for Thankgiving. It's bigger than the dog so that will be interesting
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

ArnieM

I'd go for either the bone or the dog in some soup.  Aw heck, use the bone  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Uh, 10.5...Ice wants your fresh ham curing and smoking recipe.  He mentioned some sauce horse trading.  Chris, I'm fairly confident that Ice means HIS sauce.  Chris?  Uh Chris?  CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenpoint5

Not Fair I call a foul here. I was sleeping when Iceman asked for the recipe. Then I was at work until 7am this morning. This is the first chance I had to respond to his request. Although I would have responded the same way GusRobin did.

I will add that I am available for consultation if any questions should arise in your Ham curing adventure! Either by phone, email or pm. Just ask GusRobin I am usually pretty prompt in my response time as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

QuoteJust ask GusRobin I am usually pretty prompt in my response time as well.

I must say 10.5 gave very prompt responses and was even accurate ;D ;D

iceman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 14, 2010, 05:53:19 AM
Not Fair I call a foul here. I was sleeping when Iceman asked for the recipe. Then I was at work until 7am this morning. This is the first chance I had to respond to his request. Although I would have responded the same way GusRobin did.

I will add that I am available for consultation if any questions should arise in your Ham curing adventure! Either by phone, email or pm. Just ask GusRobin I am usually pretty prompt in my response time as well.

Instant playback shows that all players were NOT on the field at the time of the snap. No penalty. Repeat down.  :D
10.5 is now in possesion of the ball, er.... recipe   ;)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: iceman on September 14, 2010, 09:57:08 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 14, 2010, 05:53:19 AM

Instant playback shows that all players were NOT on the field at the time of the snap. No penalty. Repeat down.  :D
10.5 is now in possesion of the ball, er.... recipe   ;)
Some days we are on the field but not completely in the game! If you still need the recipe Iceman let me know.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

Got the recipe 10.5 and now it's just waiting until we get back from Italy in October. Then the next shift off work the ham gets the needle!!! Already have folks bugging me to make more than one. That looks sooooo good I drool every time I look at it. We all need to find some of those giant cryvac bags so we can vacum seal things like hams and turkeys and freeze them. I think it would really make it a class act over the top.  :D ;D

Chili Head

That ham looks awesome !! GREAT JOB!! ;) I can only imagine how it tastes  ;D When I got my smoker I never thought about doing whole hams but now..It's on the bucket list  :D