Quick question about smoking chicken

Started by Chili Head, September 11, 2010, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

I have my chicken ready to go in the smoker. I know chicken is full of moisture and I'm wondering if I should put water in the bowl to extinguish the pucks. What do ya think?

Up In Smoke

I try to keep a bowl of water in at all times during the smoke.
with fowl it is a good idea to keep the vent wide open to allow the moisture to escape.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Chili Head

Thanks for the advice Up In Smoke  ;)

The bird is going in  ;D

ArnieM

You should always have water in the bowl while smoking.  And, yes, vent wide open.

Try to get your cabinet temp up to 250 or 260 if possible.

You can always pull the bird when not quite done and then finish in the oven or on a grill to crisp up the skin.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Chili Head

The chicken turned out great!!

I spritzed it with olive oil and seasoned it with ground sea salt and fresh ground black pepper then put it in the smoker at 250. I had to run out for a few hours to a work function and was hoping to be back
to pull the bird out in about three hours. I get a call from the wife telling me the temps are 170 and she pulled it out. Then I hear that's the best chicken she has ever had!! Man she started without
me!!! She even sent me a picture before she tore into it hehehe.
I'll post the picture shortly.

Quarlow

Now that is not even nice. I think you should seriously think about putting a lock on that baby so all she can do is turn it off for you. But then she sends you a picture like shes a kidnapper and she wants a ransom from you or she'll eat it. That is just cold.  :D :D :D  Ok now on a serious note you realize you have created a monster. You may need an intervention or you will never get to eat anything you make. You better sleep with one eye open. If she gets a smoked food craving in the middle of the night you could be in danger.  ;D Glad you had good success and  have a faithful following.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Chili Head

Here's how it turned out.

Crappy cell phone picture but you get the idea ;D The skin even turned out crispy ! I used two pucks of pecan then backed that up with special blend. It was sooo good I couldnt believe it and it was moist too. Now she's telling me she wants chicken twice a week  :o
I dont think I want chicken on the grill ever again  ;D :P

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Wow I can see why she got subordinate with your chicken. I guess she could be forgiven when they look that good. Nice smoking Chili.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

Nice job Chili Head.  I want that wing  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Smokeville

Quote from: Chili Head on September 11, 2010, 06:42:32 PM

It was sooo good I couldnt believe it and it was moist too. Now she's telling me she wants chicken twice a week  :o

Yeah, it spoils you. My grill just sits there. The year before I started smoking I went and bought a top-of-the-line grill (here in Canada usually called a barbeque) that can do 25 burgers at a time. I could have bought 2 DBS's for what it cost!

We had some chicken left over yesterday. It had been smoked with cherry and apple, and my wife gave it to the Mom next door who has a 3 year-old and a 1-year-old. Their Dad was out golfing and she was at her wits end running after them....

A little while later she comes out yelling for my wife...... "THAT CHICKEN WAS AMAZING... THEY ATE IT ALL AND I ONLY GOT ONE LITTLE PIECE...."

Rich

Quarlow

Quote from: Smokeville on September 12, 2010, 06:03:24 AM
Quote from: Chili Head on September 11, 2010, 06:42:32 PM

It was sooo good I couldnt believe it and it was moist too. Now she's telling me she wants chicken twice a week  :o

Yeah, it spoils you. My grill just sits there. The year before I started smoking I went and bought a top-of-the-line grill (here in Canada usually called a barbeque) that can do 25 burgers at a time. I could have bought 2 DBS's for what it cost!

We had some chicken left over yesterday. It had been smoked with cherry and apple, and my wife gave it to the Mom next door who has a 3 year-old and a 1-year-old. Their Dad was out golfing and she was at her wits end running after them....

A little while later she comes out yelling for my wife...... "THAT CHICKEN WAS AMAZING... THEY ATE IT ALL AND I ONLY GOT ONE LITTLE PIECE...."

Rich
Ahh sweet justification. You gotta love it. Yeah.

OBS
BBQ

Smokeville

Yeah, it was sweet.

Also, as our neighbours live beside the side of the house where I keep the smoker, it's a good deal to keep them happy.

"How would you like to try some pulled pork," I asked once. The rest was history.

Chili Head

My neighbours were eyeballing my smoker yesterday but didn't say anything. I think they were curious when they smelled the smokey goodness drifting over to their house  ;D

Smokeville