Need long shelf life for smoked sausage

Started by allthai, June 26, 2005, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

jaeger...

i can only take credit for adding "jerky"...

the rest is the daniel boone tv show theme song from 1964...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

I've tried to ,personally, stay out of this as we are all friends here.

So I thought it might be best to see what the Food Safety and Inspection Service United States Department of Agriculture Washington, D.C. had to say on this subject.

Here is the addy: Food Safety Of Jerky

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Hi All,

Allthai is sending me the URL of the charity (Manna Foundation) he works with. I'll be happy to pass it along to anyone interested, and my offer to help out still stands.  I've aksed Allthai to check out wither DHL or Fedex will deliver safe chemicals to Thailand.

No need to respond on the Forum.  If you want to help out or want more info, send me a private e-mail.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

allthai

We are delivering the first batch of smoked sausage to 85 needy children today and will be used up by this evening.

We used only lean pork (no fat) added the right amount of salt and spices and mixed well. This was the easy part as we have a bakery so we used our big bread mixer. We also added split and shelled Soya bean that was soaking over night to make it soft.  We let cure for 24 hours in the frig. We then used salt cured pig casings and stuffed the meat in. We then let the sausage dry in an air conditioned room. I then hot smoked the sausage at 200F. for 3 hours and then let hang in again in an air conditioned rooms for 4 days and nights. We then sealed the sausages in air tight bags taking all the air out.

The sausage will be taken out of the bags then boiled until plump again then sliced and added to a rice and vegetables dish.

We pray that this works well as we have more than 500 children that we feed where there is no refrigeration. The good part is that it is used the same day after delivery.

For more information on the Manna Foundation to feed hungry children in Thailand see http://www.mannafoundation.org/

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Randy and Ning Gaudet
Chiangmai Thailand

I love making my own sausage here in Thailand because the store bought products are nothinh but hot dogs.