Fresh Gravlax

Started by 3rensho, September 12, 2010, 06:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

This year we had a bumper crop of dill so I made a kilo of gravlax using this
recipe from Boybach.  If you haven't tried it yet it is fantastic.  The only changes I made to his recipe were to cure for four days instead of three and I used a locally made moonshine instead of brandy.

Click to enlarge

It fits with his sauce perfectly.

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

3rensho,
I value you as a friend here on the forum. So I would hate to see anything bad happen to you. That Gravlox looks like it SUCK's Big time!!! I would suggest that you vac seal every last piece of it and ship it here to me. I can assure you that it will receive proper disposal!! I mean it is the least I can do for a forum friend such as you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

3rensho

Well, if y'all weren't so dang far away that could be arranged.  ;D ;D  No super fund sites in these parts.  Still gotta pick some dill and chop it as a garnish just before serving.  Tomorrow I cold smoke the main part - this is just the thin tail section.

iceman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 12, 2010, 07:47:39 AM
3rensho,
I value you as a friend here on the forum. So I would hate to see anything bad happen to you. That Gravlox looks like it SUCK's Big time!!! I would suggest that you vac seal every last piece of it and ship it here to me. I can assure you that it will receive proper disposal!! I mean it is the least I can do for a forum friend such as you.

Just to keep 10.5 honest you should probably divide the shipment in two and send half to me for evaluation purposes.  ::)  ;)

classicrockgriller

Send me the moonshine .... for evaluation purposes.  ::)  ;)

3rensho

QuoteSend me the moonshine .... for evaluation purposes.

It's Kirschwasser from a local farmer.  Classified as a veterinary medicine in Switzerland.  A farmer is allowed to make two liters per year per cow  ;D ;D ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: 3rensho on September 12, 2010, 09:36:49 PM
QuoteSend me the moonshine .... for evaluation purposes.

It's Kirschwasser from a local farmer.  Classified as a veterinary medicine in Switzerland.  A farmer is allowed to make two liters per year per cow  ;D ;D ;D

So the more cows a farmer has ........ the happier the Farmer is! ;D

squirtthecat

So how many cows did you buy him?   :D

Tenpoint5

While in Germany My neighbor had some made from Plums. He called it Fire water. After about 2 hours we was having a heck of a good time. Talking and laughing and telling stories. Funny thing about it was He didn't speak a word of English, That is what his daughter told me. I didn't speak a whole lot of German but we knew exactly what the other was saying. Sure sounded like English to me at the time, He must have been hearing German as well. That stuff will do wonders to you CRG!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

3rensho

He used to have a dozen cows but has zero now (he's 70 and retired) but he keeps the right to make the booze.  If you think Bossy was a contented cow you ought to see ours.  We've got a liter of plum firewater and a liter of quince firewater in the cellar.  I spend a lot time down there in the winter tinkering with my constant humidity box and listening to the sauerkraut ferment  ;D ;D