Pork Butt Compilation of two posts:

Started by Fuzzybear, March 18, 2004, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

Pork Butt:

1 4-5lb pork butt, bone in.

1 dry rub recipie of your choosing (some like to marinate it overnight, then dry rub the following day; others like to swab it with mustard first, then apply the rub)

6 to 14 pucks (hickory/mesquite/pecan/maple/apple) depending on (1) the flavor you want & (2) how much smoke you want

Preheat your Bradley to 200~225 degrees

Once at temp, load up your pucks, fill the water bowl,  open the door, load up your butt on the top or middle rack, insert a thermometer probe thru the top vent into the meat, put the water bowl in, advance the puck mover till one's on the burner, shut the door.  Check that the vent is open between 1/8th and ¼ way

Let this baby cook for 8~10 hours until the internal temp gets to 193~205 degrees – on the low end, (193) pull out the butt, cover-wrap for a couple of hours.

Serve; eat; go to heaven!

(Compilation of two posts – "First try at Pork" and "Bark on the butts/brisket"

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Just a side note: I have consitantly noticed my BS temp raising to about 240-245 or so after rendering, I have accually left it there for a while, then turn down to 220.  I also have consistanly been pulling my butts at 185-190 with EXCELENT results.  Typically on average my butts have been coming out at 13hrs.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Fuzzybear

Thanks for the update Mallard!

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Fuzz,

I accually grew up in Santa Susana, now taken over by Simi Valley.  The days a huge orange groves and tall Euchaliptus trees.  Those were the days when Rocket-Dyne would test the Saturn Five Rocket eginines for the Appolo missions in the hills that litterlty broke windows.  Man, those were the days.  My Dad lives in Menifee.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Fuzzybear

No kidding - I grew up in "Mission Hills" just down the road from San Fernando - Chatsworth Park used to be our playground - dodging trains (stooopid) in that tunnel at the park...I remember when Topanga Canyon was two lane and lined with eucalyptus trees - no more!  No trees and high rise office buildings with industrial buildings and shopping centers all over - not to mention the traffic - sheesh!  

I still drive thru Simi Valley when I'm towing my 5th wheel (easier grade) when I go to the Ventura area.

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Fuzz,

He is a question, in referance to Topanga Canyon, do you remember the "Pass Club"??  I spent many a day up there when I was small.  My mom was waitress and step-dad was guard.  Small world.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Fuzzybear

Sorry Mallard, I don'tt...I do remember  my grampa died hitting a telephone pole at the bottom of the old santa sussanah grade on that hairpin turn at the bottom...

I used to play out in the park back in 1965/1966 when I was only about 9/10/11 years old....

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Fuzz,

If you know the pass that well, you know the Pass Club.  It was that little building sitting ontop of  hill as went over the crest.  It was a Poker/Pan/Low Ball card club.  

PS.I'l leave this one alone

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Fuzzybear

Thanks for the info - I've seen the building but never had been to it - that might explain gramps' problem coming' down the hill to fast.  Gramma never mentioned the reasons behind the accident back in 1959...all we knew it was at night, hairpin turn, telephone pole...I was just a pup so I didn't know him to well.  That was gramma's 7th marriage!!!  She never remarried after that.  They are now both side by side in a Mausoleum at Forest Lawn.............

Glendora, CA - USA!

trout

Hey Jack...I know this is off topic for this particular thread but......you smoked a butt on a Thursday for eating on Saturday?

Doesn't that kinda firm it up and dry it out storing it in the fridge for a couple of days? What's the process for bringing it back to just outta the Bradley status?

Glendora, CA - USA!

This is a good question I grabbed from another thread.  I have also noticed that pork butt is definitely best fresh out of the smoker.  I have smoked and frozen both pork butt and brisket.  The brisket turns out far better reheated in the nukerowave than pork butt, even though they both contain enough fat to keep them moist in the smoker all day.  What I usually do with leftover pork butt is to put it into a crockpot with some beef stock so the gang can scoop some out and put it on a bun with some barbeque sauce.[:p]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Bassman

Yes Trout,smoked thursday,ate Saturday. Was not dry.Everyone loved it[:D].True, it is best right out of the smoker but my schedule did not allow that this particular weekend. I don't remember who posted this(I think it was duck killer),but he suggested wrapping the butt in foil & a towel and letting it sit for 2 hrs right out of the smoker.Well this really works and I will do it from now on.It seemed to retain is moistness.When served with a twice baked potato,our choices are BBQ sauce,pork gravy(out of a can)or straight up(nothing on it).Some made a sandwhich w/BBQ sauce.We heated the pork in the oven on a cookie type tray at low heat.just enough to warm it.I would stay away from nuking it because it has a tendency to get tough.Later Saturday night we were snacking on the leftover pork right out of the fridge.[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

I'm trying my first pork butt this weekend.
They are defrosting right now, and I want to rub down tomorrow for smoking on Sunday.
Question is: All recipes call for the dry rub.  Some recommend using oil or mustard as a base to make the rub stick.
a)If you are using a mustard to hold the rub, does it not add the mustard flavour?
b)If you are going to use a base to hold your spices, why do you not just rub down with a commercially available barbecue sauce?  Lots of good spices in them, and no need to measure out ingredients...

Thanks for the help on this, I should have posted earlier this week, but the idea just struck me this morning.

In case I didn't mention, this is for pulled pork, not a BBBacon butt.  Also there are huge variences in cooking time,  How much time minimum would you allow before supper? 10 hrs a good base and then be plus/minus 2 to 3 maximum from there???????

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

WTF,

In my experience, you don't <b>need</b> the mustard or oil to bind the spices. Use plenty & virtually coat the meat & let it set overnight. When I have tried the mustard theory, it did not impart a "mustard" taste and kind of fused the spices together nicely. However, I didn't get the crispy crust I was looking for due to it's added moisture. (Or perhaps, I didn't do it right for that technique.[B)])

The reason not to use commercial BBQ sauce is that it contains high amounts of sugar, which will burn. If you make your own concoction & want some sweetness, use only turbinado sugar (raw sugarcane).

Besides, if you spice it right & cook it right, sauce will be an insult to your creation! I hate places that pressure-cook the meat with some liquid smoke & then slather it up with sauce and call it BBQ. They don't have a clue!

Time-wise, I think you're OK with the 10-hour plan for 1 butt. We just got done doing 8 at a time (2 smokers) & it took about 15 hours. Whatever you do, don't panic that the IT is rising quickly at first. Keep the smoker on high as it's the last 20-30 degrees that takes the longest to attain.

Only open the door twice. The first time, mid smoke, to empty & refill the water bowl. The second time should be taking it out to shred. If the meat has seperated from the bone, you're in business & the "shred" should only take a few minutes as it will literally fall apart.

Don't forget to let the thing rest 10-15 minutes before shredding. That will allow the juices to redistribute, not to mention keeping from burning the hell out of your hands.[;)]

Let us know how it turned out.

Smoke On![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Whiterack,

Kirk is correct, like always.  Last two buts I did I simply forgot the mustard.  I truely could not tell the differance.  When  I used the mustard I could never taste it.  But it did hold the rub well.  I noticed there is enogh moisture to hold the rub.  However I like alot a rub, I don't know if helps or not, but it makes that skin something to fight over.  Kirk said it set it straight again, ONLY open that door about mid way through the process.  My butts take about 11 to 12 hrs to get to 185 or so.  Plenty done!.  I would sugest that when pull your butts out wrap them good in foil then in an old towl for a couple hours.  I think this makes differance.  I use to use Hickory, Kirk talked me into trying some maple.  See ya lata hickory.  Maple is a beee-ute-teeeful thing.  Have fun bud....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Whiterack,

My butts take about 11 to 12 hrs to get to 185 or so.  Plenty done!.  I would sugest that when pull your butts out wrap them good in foil then in an old towl for a couple hours.  I think this makes differance.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

How many and how big at 11-12 hrs.  I have 3 butts at about 2 pounds each preppin' for tomorrow.  Also when you wrap in foil and towel, do you leave at room temp, or toss in the ole Coleman[?]

C-Bubba, I guessed about the sugar content in the bbq sauce after posting, and I'm glad I did.  I put a dry rub directly onto the meat, no mustard or oil.  I think it sticks plenty good to the juices of the meat.  I am going to pile it on again in a few hours as the rub is extracting the moisture and juicing up on the outside.

I couldn't wait any longer for a reply so I went ahead with straight rub.  Its nice to hear anyway and specifically becuase I did it right, and that adds a lot of confidence and anticipation for tomorrows smoke.

Hope everyone has a good smokin weekend except for Kirk who smoked his ass off for Indy - hope you enjoy your grub for all the hard work[:)]

ps Mallard, Whiterack would refer to my wife[:p] - dont repeat that[;)]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.