Pork Butt Compilation of two posts:

Started by Fuzzybear, March 18, 2004, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

What target temp are using for the smoker temp??? I have been using 200 and consistently seeing @15 hour cook times. I can get brisket to temp in about 12-13 if it small. I get to 160 fairly quick but it really take time to get to 180-185

When in doubt smoke it.

snapper39

Sorry if I digress (SP)   I have noticed some people remove the bone and some do not. I may be spending unrequired time removing bones.
What is the general concensus, does it slow down cook time, speed it up, cause the temp to vary from one portion of the meat to another?
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have noticed some people remove the bone and some do not<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font color="navy"><font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I can't tell any difference in the bone in/out flavour but I sure can tell the difference when it comes to carving! Have the butcher take the bone out (not that expensive) or take it out yourself (slightly time consuming). Being able to rub the dry rub in to the pit where the bone used to sit makes a great flavour improvement I'm convinced!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size2"></font id="navy">

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />ps Mallard, Whiterack would refer to my wife[:p] - dont repeat that[;)]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But your handle tells us what's really a priority![:D][:D]

Regarding bone in/out, I believe that since it is denser, it absorbs more heat & helps the cooking time by "cooking from the inside". Flavor-wise, I too can't tell the difference. If you're slicing then it's absence is a positive. If you're shredding, it gives you a support to shred into.

If you've cooked it to absolute perfection, none of this will matter. Just drop it from 10 feet & it'll splat into perfection![:D][:p][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

The Results The Results The Results

Holy Smokes (no pun intended)[8D]

I just finished my first attempt at pulled pork and WOW the was without a doubt the tastiest meal I have had in recent momory.

The ole gas grill is gonna get rusty this summer (except for quick burgers in a hurry) because now I've had a taste of <font color="red">Real Barbecue</font id="red"> and I'm not going back.

-Did three bone-in picnics or butts (sorry we butcher ourselves and the package only says Pork Roast - next hog will be properly labelled for smoking) about 2-2.5 lbs each.
-Dry rub applied at about noon the day before, and butts went in smoker at 7:00am (about 19-20hrs of "marinading").
-Three hours (9 pucks) of hickory smoke right away
-Total cook time of 11 hrs.  We pulled off at 6:00 and I wrapped in foil and tossed in oven for 20 minutes and then started pulling.
-Cook temp of 200 to 225 - I did not have to move the temp gauge all day, temp only varied between the two target range temps, and rose slowly with the cooking process - very pleased with this aspect not watching an 11 hr project every few minutes...

Did shredded on a kaiser bun with cole slaw.  My 2 yr old had not been eating well the last couple of days, but when he tied into the first piece of pork while I was shredding he came back about 6 times - "this is yummy - more meat please" LOL[:D][:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

Like we say "What happens on the message board-stays on the board"

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BrentK

Well, I too am taking the plunge!  I've told all my buddy's that I've got this great new smoker...sooooo,  I'm smoking a 7 to 8 lb pork butt (I can't remember exactly what the butcher said butt/shoulder?) on the coming 4th of July.  I read all the post here and am expecting it to take about 11 hrs or so[?][?] Any additional advise on time would be appreciated.[:)]  Sounds like Maple is the wood to use and I'll look up a rub recipe in S&S unless any of you guys have one you've really liked.  Any additional tips or tricks would be appreciated[:)]

Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend!!!

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

MallardWacker

Brent,

One thing you really need is an remote thermometer, it doesn't need to be one of those wireless type but at least something you can watch the internal temp of the meat so you don't have open the door.  I think you propbably read already opening the door can effect cooking time.  Thats a great choice for wood, maple or pecan with pork-you really can't go wrong.  Also, if you can wait for a couple of hours before you dive in into the meat, wrap the meat in foil then in an old towl-let set for a couple hours.  Dude, you will be the man of the 4th.[8D]

I usually do two butts, typical time 12-13 hrs @ internal temp of 185.

I too will be doing the butt thing this weekend-good luck and have fun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BrentK

Thanks for the help.  I'm excited to give it a go.  I'll use maple because I don't think I have any pecan yet.  It'll be hard...but I'll just tell my guests that it's...MY  smoker and they'll just have to wait until....I  say it's done.  I'll let you guy's know how it comes out.

Have a GREAT weekend....<b></b>FAMILY, FRIENDS, FOOD,....beer....does it get any better than that[:D][:D]

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

kjel

I purchased a cut of meat called pork sirloin instead of pork shoulder because it was on sale.  Is this the same as pork loin?  Can I do pulled pork using this cut or will it be too dry?

BrentK

Kjel,

I'm no butcher But here's what my chart says.  The pork sirloin comes from the back part of the whole lion (top back of the pig).  It should be very tender as the muscle group does not get used as much.  The pork butt or shoulder roast comes from the front upper leg of the pig...a more used part of muscle and a tougher cut of meat..that's why it sould lend itself well to SLOW cooking.  I think your loin might work alright in the smoker depending on how much fat is on your cut.  Hopefully the butcher did'nt trim it to close.  The center of your cut is going to be pretty lean though which may make it to dry for a long cook unless you maybe could cover it with pork fat trimings from the butcher shop.  The pork loin or center loin comes from the same cut as your sirloin just farther forward on the back.

Finally sunny and warm here, 77 today[8D]

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

MallardWacker

Kjel,

Concerning the pork loin.  If you are looking for a "traditional" type pulled pork, I don't think the loin is going to be as good as the butt or shoulder.  I hate use [:o)]Emeril's[:o)] name but, pork fat does rule here.  I think the fat will give you much better flavor and the loin <u>MAY</u> come out less tender and moist let alone the flavor Factor.  That loin sounds better for bacon, just my humble and jillted thoughts from the hills of Arkansas.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

snapper39

I have purchased pork sirloin before. It makes great pork chops for the BBQ or a great roast, but I personally do not think there is enough fat to do proper pulled pork. Sirloin is the leanest pork meat I have ever purchased. Just my opinion.
If it works let us know.
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

BrentK

Well....just got back from the weekend holiday.  Cloudy and cold ...but still had a good time.  The pork shoulder was a BIG hit.  14 hours at 210F.  I've never had pork so moist before[:D]  My thanks Mallardwacker for the advise and to the rest of you as well.  The jalapeno popper stuffed with the left over pork were mild and absolutely delicious[:p][:p]  I smoked them with maple for about an hour at 150F then finished them on the grill for 20min.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

nsxbill

I am about to put in my two pork shoulders (6lbs ea).  Do you only smoke for the first 4 hours, then let the heater do the rest, or do you smoke for entire time the pork is in the smoker? I understand that I have get the temp up to 225 first then insert pork.  Back up to 225 and set Maverick for 185 internal temp then wrap up and into a cooler for a couple of hours...

The question - how long for smoke and heat?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.