2nd Burner ?

Started by Cleaver, September 12, 2010, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleaver

I just bought my 6 rack BDS, and simply said love it.

I however can see the need to install a 2nd burner for winter uses.  I will be setting it up on the deck.  In Saskatchewan we have a windy climate.  Not wind like most imagine,  but most times in winter it will take your breath away.   And your hat off, and relocated it in either alberta or manitoba.  (One sucks while the other blows.  reason most ppl pass though!)

Anyway on the the question.  Does putting a second burner in not put a huge extra load on the digital controls.  And is there a modification that will not put more load on the circuits?
Has anyone ever taken note on the wattage increase.  And how close will it take it to 1500 W(15A).

I'm hoping someone from bradley has looked in on this and can tell me if it will burn out the digital control sooner than it should.

TIA

classicrockgriller

If you add the 2nd element (which is a winner on the 6 rack) it is recommended that it be controlled with a PID.

There fore it by passes the digital control so it will last for ever!

PS Welcome to the forum!

Cleaver

Please forgive my ignorance.  But i'm still trying to find out what PID stands for.  I'm looking at installing a magnetic switch (relay) to run the second burner.

Cleaver

Okay found the descrition and reasoning for it.  However I would like to use the control that it came with.  At least currently, my wife would kill me if she saw me spend more money on another control to control something that is already controlled.....lol.

classicrockgriller

That is how we all learn ... by asking questions.

look at this link on the PID by Auber. It is plug n' play.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151

Mr Walleye

Hi Cleaver and welcome to the forum.

Where abouts are you from in Saskatchewan. I'm in Moose Jaw.

Here is a link to the 2nd element mod over on the recipe site.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?572-Additional-Heating-Element-Modification&p=910#post910

I would also highly recommend a PID to control it. There was some talk some time ago about using the DBS digital control to switch a SSR which in turn would power the elements but I don't think anyone followed through with it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Cleaver

Actually I to am from Moose Jaw.  If I would have known about PID I would not have boughten the DBS.  I would have gone the 6 rack basic instead.  So until I eventually build one, I will mod the existing control.

GusRobin

I don't believe Bradley makes a non-digital six rack
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

You can only get the 6 rack with a digital.

You need to hook up with Mr Walleye (Mike).

He can answer alot of questions for you.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Cleaver on September 12, 2010, 09:23:38 PM
Actually I to am from Moose Jaw.  If I would have known about PID I would not have boughten the DBS.  I would have gone the 6 rack basic instead.  So until I eventually build one, I will mod the existing control.

Cleaver

Shoot me a PM with your phone number if you would like to have a look at my setup. In fact I may even have a spare PID kicking around.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi Cleaver;

Welcome to the forum. Mike will take good care of you.

Bradley's stand on modification on their smoker is that they clearly state do not use or add any modifications to their smoker. Other then that statement, I don't believe they would make any comments.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cleaver

Well I guess i never looked into a basic 6 rack.  I know I looked at 4 rack models last year.  So that was probably where I got my idea.  I will hook up with Mr. Walleye,  however I currently in Saskatoon Sk for school during the week.

(finishing up my journeyman's papers)

I'm already planning the next smoker meal to try, but just not sure to do pork or beef.  Did ribs and pork chops the first use.  So probably go with beef. 

As for the mod.  I will hold off and see how winter does affect the unit.  Just to keep warranty as long as I can.

Mr Walleye

Cleaver

Ya gotta do a pork butt. You can pick up bone in butts at Fellingers' on Athabasca East.

I shot you a PM. I'll try and hook up with you this weekend. My Niece is getting married this weekend too so if we don't connect this weekend we can always do it next weekend.

Good luck on you Journeyman's.

Mike

Cleaver

They have some real nice cuts in Prairie Meats up here in saskatoon.  But I know fellingers, and might check there when I get back to the Jaw. 

How much variance is in the bradley control unit?  ie:+/-10 deg? before on/off?

Mr Walleye

Your pretty close at 10 degrees above and below, 20 degrees total. As the meat gets warmer (later in the smoke) the temp swings become less.

Mike