A few Questions before I buy

Started by awaldo, September 14, 2010, 09:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awaldo

I've been smoking for several years now, with both a brinkmann offset and a masterbuilt propane vertical.  Both have their pros and cons.  My big need now is quantity and ease.  Everything I have read so far here about the OBS leads me to believe that getting an OBS and adding an Auber would be amazing above and beyond my vertical with my Maverick dual remote.  I just have a few Qs for you experts:  How many shoulders/butts can I get in one?  The shoulders I get are usually in the 7-8 lb. range.  Two at a time in the vertical just doesn't cut it.  Second, do you have to run the smoke generator the entire time?  Can you adjust the "intensity" of the smoke?  I really like smoking heavy in the beginning, then slowing, or even stopping towards the end, since after about 8-9 hours, I can't really tell the difference by continuing to add smoke, the shoulders are pretty reluctant to absorb more after that, seems to me.

Anyhow, thanks for any and all info!

Andy

FLBentRider

Quote from: awaldo on September 14, 2010, 09:32:43 AM
I've been smoking for several years now, with both a brinkmann offset and a masterbuilt propane vertical.  Both have their pros and cons.  My big need now is quantity and ease.  Everything I have read so far here about the OBS leads me to believe that getting an OBS and adding an Auber would be amazing above and beyond my vertical with my Maverick dual remote.  I just have a few Qs for you experts:  How many shoulders/butts can I get in one?  The shoulders I get are usually in the 7-8 lb. range.  Two at a time in the vertical just doesn't cut it.  Second, do you have to run the smoke generator the entire time?  Can you adjust the "intensity" of the smoke?  I really like smoking heavy in the beginning, then slowing, or even stopping towards the end, since after about 8-9 hours, I can't really tell the difference by continuing to add smoke, the shoulders are pretty reluctant to absorb more after that, seems to me.

Anyhow, thanks for any and all info!

Andy

W E L C O M E  to the Forum awaldo!

You can get a maximum of four pork butts in an OBS.

Most do not run the smoke generator the entire time, 4 hours on a pork butt is the usual. There are some members here that do 6 or even 8 hours.

You cannot adjust the intensity, but you can vary the flavors, some flavors are stronger than others.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Welcome awaldo,

And as far as ease it doesn't get much easier than programming the PID to control the cooking temp and smoking time and then letting you know when you hit the preset IT!

classicrockgriller

Hiya awaldo and Welcome to the Forum.

FLBR has you fixed up.

The OBS and the Auber are a great combo.

G/L in your decision.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

awaldo

Thanks guys!  Now I just need to push my wife to buy it for my birthday then we're good to go!

ArnieM

Hi awaldo and welcome to the forum.

Simply explain to your wife that you'd like either a new Porsche or this smoker thingy.  That should help.  ;D

You can mix the pucks.  Apple and hickory goes good on pork.  I've never smoked a butt over 4 hours, the rest being cooking time.  But, to each their own.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.