New vacuum sealer

Started by RAF128, September 14, 2010, 01:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

For years I've been using a vacuum seal that was given as a gift.    It works OK but the bags tend to leak.   Today I took the plunge and bought a Food Saver.    Seems to work great.   I had to try it out so I vacuum sealed a bisquit.    I'll be much happier with the new one.    Tonight I'm going to reseal Ā½dozen packages of stick I made.    I think it's going to come in handy for package deer meat too.

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

I have been HAPPY with mine.

Chili Head

I got a foodsaver a couple months ago and love it.
One thing I do is buy hot pepper rings by the gallon because there cheaper that way  ;)
and freeze them in a large baking pan. The next day you can cut the peppers in squares and vacuum pack em, then off to the freezer. I havent been able to do that with jalapenos..I eat those too fast  :D

squirtthecat

I've had mine just over a year and have run the guts out of it.  I can't even guess how many 100s of feet of bags have been through it.

I bought the bulk rolls for the longest time, but I've since switched to pre-made bags from this source:

[edit - fixed link]
http://stores.ebay.com/All-Vacuum-Seal-and-Butcher-Supply
[/edit]

They work great and are reasonably priced.   A quart bag holds a pound of sliced lunchmeat, or 2 pounds of pulled pork.  The gallon bags will hold 5 pounds of pulled pork, or a brisket flat.

Tip.  Once you lay down a seal, move the bag a 1/4" or so and lay down a second one.    Sometimes I even do a 3rd if there is a lot of moisture in the bag.   Haven't had one leak since I started doing that.

SouthernSmoked

My FoodSaver really gets a true workout daily.

One of the best kitchen equipment ever purchased.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

RAF128

Last night I resealed the snack sticks I made a week ago.    Does it ever work great.    Far better than my old one.  There will be a little bit of a learning curve.   Getting the right sized bags is the trick.    Mine came with 2 rolls, 1 8" and 1 11".   They're only 10' long though.   Also came with some pre made bags.   Slipped into the store this morning and bought another box of 2 8" rolls.   They're a little pricey and have looked on line and can get them at 1/3 the price.   The more I look at it the uses are almost endless.

TestRocket

We 've had the same FoodSaver for over 15 years now and use it at least once a week and it still sucks!  :D

moodyfisherman

Squirt:
I do not see where there are any premade bags on that Ebay sellers site....am I missing something
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

squirtthecat

Quote from: moodyfisherman on September 15, 2010, 09:42:46 PM
Squirt:
I do not see where there are any premade bags on that Ebay sellers site....am I missing something

Yikes.  He had tons of pint/quart/gallon bag combos there yesterday...    I've bought from him a couple times now.

squirtthecat

I just got an email from them...  They are setting up a new Ebay store, and he's been moving stuff around.

You can see the various bag options here:

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 16, 2010, 07:15:21 AM

I just got an email from them...  They are setting up a new Ebay store, and he's been moving stuff around.

You can see the various bag options here:

Thanks Pat I had Momma save them as a fav seller for me.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I put a bookmark on them Pat.  Thanks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

RAF128

This morning I decided to vacuum seal a bunch of frozen burger patties that I've bought.   They come in a box of 10 lbs.   They're great burgers made locally by the butcher shop I frequent.   They're great for a quick meal when we didn't get something out ahead of time.   Anyway I noticed that they were starting to freezer burn.   Worked great.   I then decided that I needed more bags/rolls.   I'd heard that the London Drugs had them on sale so I slipped in there.    THey were cheaper that what I paid the other day so grabbed some.   I also noticed they were selling the sealers on sale.   The one I bought was $50 cheaper here that what I paid.   I grabbed one of them  to take to the cabin for fish and what ever there.   I'm off the kitchen now.  My wife is making cabbage rolls and I'm going to start vacuum sealing them.

squirtthecat

Good deal!

Never hurts to have a backup...