Rckcrwlr is looking to SMOKE...

Started by Rckcrwlr, September 14, 2010, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

OK...I have made sausage all my life.  Italian Hot, Sweet, Kielbasa, Chorizo, etc.  It is about time that I take the next step in cooking.  I have smoked on my grill in the past but need to take the next step.

Thoughts going through my head:

-What type?
-It needs to be able to handle long runs of sausage
-Outdoor is not convenient but possible
-If indoor, what do I really need
-4 or 6 rack...My motto has always been bigger is better...is that true with smokers?
-will heat be the same throughout the cabinet

Thanks for being patient with a newbie. 

John

Mr Walleye

Hey Rckcrwlr and welcome to the forum.

I got into sausage making/smoking a few years ago and quickly decided I wanted/needed to be able to smoke 100 lb batches. There are lots of very experienced guys here that get along just fine doing smaller loads with the 4 or 6 rack units but for me, bigger is better or at least, more convenient. I have mine built into my heated garage for added convenience. Here is a link to a couple of the larger smokers I have built using the Bradley smoke generator.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg82164#msg82164 (if you scroll tot he next page you will see where I rewired it to 220)

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16075.0

It really comes down to the size of loads you want to be able to do. Also, for doing sausage most prefer using a PID to control the temps. It has a lot tighter tolerances for controlling the temp swings which really helps with sausage.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

classicrockgriller

If you are looking to build you a smoker .... nepas is in your area and I think

he has a nice cabinet "For Sale".

Rckcrwlr

OK...now that I have the right email in my profile, maybe I will get notifications...  ::)

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 14, 2010, 07:53:56 PM
Hey Rckcrwlr and welcome to the forum.

I got into sausage making/smoking a few years ago and quickly decided I wanted/needed to be able to smoke 100 lb batches. There are lots of very experienced guys here that get along just fine doing smaller loads with the 4 or 6 rack units but for me, bigger is better or at least, more convenient. I have mine built into my heated garage for added convenience. Here is a link to a couple of the larger smokers I have built using the Bradley smoke generator.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg82164#msg82164 (if you scroll tot he next page you will see where I rewired it to 220)

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16075.0

It really comes down to the size of loads you want to be able to do. Also, for doing sausage most prefer using a PID to control the temps. It has a lot tighter tolerances for controlling the temp swings which really helps with sausage.

Mike

Wow Mike...that is incredible.  But I think the wife would stick me in that smoker if I came home with it.  I want to start small but can see myself doing that down the road.  I have a small paint booth in my heated garage that I could easily rig to the smoker for exhaust. 

I am thinking that the 6 rack would be more beneficial for me being that it has more vertical distance for hanging sausage.  Are my assumptions correct???

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 14, 2010, 08:04:52 PM
If you are looking to build you a smoker .... nepas is in your area and I think

he has a nice cabinet "For Sale".

Not looking yet but could see my addiction growing to that...I have to keep saying "baby steps, baby steps"

RAF128

I like to do sausage and don't put it in the racks but prefer to hang it.   I had an OBS but felt it was too short.   I had to make shorter sausages.   I bought a 6 rack and then added a PID.  IMO temp control is crucial when making sausage.    I now make my sausages 16 - 17 inches long and hang them over a piece of piece of dowling.   I've also been putting a piece of tin foil over the back half of the V tray.   Keeps the direct heat from the element away from the bottom of the sausage and IMO I get more even heat in the cabinet.   

NePaSmoKer

Rck

See all the different ideas you will get here on the forum  ;D

Rckcrwlr

What is a PID?  I see that referenced in several threads.

I am thinking that the 6 rack is going to be my answer for now.  With the understanding that it may need to be "modified" as my needs or interests grow...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on September 15, 2010, 01:05:03 PM
What is a PID?  I see that referenced in several threads.

I am thinking that the 6 rack is going to be my answer for now.  With the understanding that it may need to be "modified" as my needs or interests grow...

Here is a link to Auber who sells the PID temp controller.   http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14

I have a 6 rack with a PID. Dont use a fan or foil on my tray like others use.

Rckcrwlr

I first need to get the smoker...

Is the PID mainly for delicate smoking where precise temps are needed?  Are you saying that the Bradley controller is not accurate?

I just want to understand this...don't want to invest in something that is not usable.

BTW: What does PID stand for?

TestRocket

Well it you look it up in Wikipedia you could find it stands for "Pelvic inflammatory disease" Ouch!

But in this case it stands for "proportional–integral–derivative"

It is basically a smart temperature controller with the ability to control the cabinet's temperature to a programmed temperature using a thermocouple inside the cabinet as its feedback. In other words you can go hands off and program the PID to maintain a cabinet temperature of (say) 225 degs and no more watching a thermometer and adjusting anything to maintain the correct temp.

Disclaimer: I have the Bradley OBS (modified with the second element) and can not speak on any other model.

Mr Walleye

John

The DBS's built in controller does a fine job for things like ribs, butts, brisket, etc. They typically have a temp swing of 5 to 10 degrees each direction of the set temp. When I'm doing sausage I like to have fairly tight control of the temps which the PID typically gives you.

There are a number of members that seem to get along fine with out a PID so you could always go that route and add it at a later date if you decide you need to.

I'm like RAF128 and I prefer to hang my sausage so I use wood dowels as well. The 6 rack unit would certainly give you a little more room in this case.

Mike

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: TestRocket on September 15, 2010, 04:14:39 PM
Well it you look it up in Wikipedia you could find it stands for "Pelvic inflammatory disease" Ouch!

I think I am in the wrong forum...   :o

Quote from: TestRocket on September 15, 2010, 04:14:39 PM
But in this case it stands for "proportional–integral–derivative"

Shooo...you had me scared there for a minute.  Thanks for the info.  My job revolves around stupid acronyms...I would rather know what they really are.

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 15, 2010, 04:53:47 PM
John

The DBS's built in controller does a fine job for things like ribs, butts, brisket, etc. They typically have a temp swing of 5 to 10 degrees each direction of the set temp. When I'm doing sausage I like to have fairly tight control of the temps which the PID typically gives you.

There are a number of members that seem to get along fine with out a PID so you could always go that route and add it at a later date if you decide you need to.

I'm like RAF128 and I prefer to hang my sausage so I use wood dowels as well. The 6 rack unit would certainly give you a little more room in this case.

Mike

Mike,
Just what I wanted to hear.  I would hate to spend $600 knowing that I need to dump another $200 to make it work out of the gate.  I have no issue upgrading as I feel the need or expand my interest.  Guess it is time to search for the best pricing...

Thanks to all of you.

John

Chili Head

QuoteGuess it is time to search for the best pricing...

I havent seen anyone as low as www.yardandpatio.com. , Super fast free shipping too.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Chili Head on September 15, 2010, 06:23:25 PM
QuoteGuess it is time to search for the best pricing...

I havent seen anyone as low as www.yardandpatio.com. , Super fast free shipping too.

That link goes to a news page...am I missing something?

Mr Walleye

John

I think Chili Head just typed the wrong link. Here ya go....

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smokers-s/573.htm

Bryan runs Yard and Pool and is a member here on the forum. I've dealt with him in the past as well and he has excellent customer service.

Mike