Rckcrwlr is looking to SMOKE...

Started by Rckcrwlr, September 14, 2010, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on September 21, 2010, 09:48:20 AM
I can see what you mean about the PDI...

I had it set for 150 degrees.  The Generator said 162 degrees.  The Maverick said 174 degrees.

Wow what a difference.

It will be good for now, I will just have to manage it with the Maverick...but it is my next upgrade.

I can hear it now! "You want to order a WHAT??? You been talking to them guys again haven't you!?" Yes Dear :-*

Son you had better get to cooking something in that new toyool you got. Once you start giving them some good smoked food out of it they tend to relax with the questions. Trust me with all the projects I have going on. Momma just shakes her head when I come in carrying another box. She just asks me now "Is it yours, Who sent it to you, or are you testing it?"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

With nothing in the smoker it will fluctuate quite a bit with the heater cycling on and off. When you put meat in there the temp will drop but everything will level out and become more stable as the meat starts to warm up and the meat temp and cabinet temps equal out.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rckcrwlr

I thought that may be the issue but didn't think that much.

I am sitting in my office and the smell is coming right in my window.  I'm not sure I will get any work done if I have meat in there too...

Regarding the "packages", my wife has become numb to it.

Between the Chevy Avalanche with the 496 big Block and my Radio Control Hobby addiction...this is a welcomed expense...at least it is feeding the family...  HA HA HA

Mr Walleye

Rckcrwlr

Here is how I designed my vent so it didn't draw too much heat from the cabinet.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

wilsondg

Hi Rckcrwlr

I'm new to smoking myself (just jointed for forum a few days ago) but when I built my enclosure for the smoker I 'thought' it would be better not to vent the top of the smoker directly out my exhaust fan to not suck out the heat, but to just let the smoke go into my enclosure, and then have a bathroom exhause fan extract all the air out of the chamber to keep it from filling up with smoke.  Like I said, I'm new so not sure if this is the best, but for the two times I have tried smoking so far, it worked great for me.  If the weather is nice I don't put on the front cover and don't turn on the exhaust fan and the smoke just naturally comes out the front, but if it is windy or raining I put on the front and turn on the exhause fan.

This is the OBS, but I use the PID Dual probe from Auber and for me I really like it because it seems to keep the temperature steady and I just program the PID, and let it do its thing while I do other things.  I like the Set-it and Forget-it Idea :)

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 21, 2010, 03:25:32 PM
Rckcrwlr

Here is how I designed my vent so it didn't draw too much heat from the cabinet.

Mike

Mike,
I was unsure how much draw the fan would create.  Still not 100% sold on the way I am doing it.  I have a flange on the smoker that has a male adapter for the aluminum flex pipe.  May be better off having it cut out like you do around the base to pull more air than smoke.  I sat down at my local plumbing store trying to figure out the best way to tie both of these into one outlet.  There was no easy way to do it without spending a ton of money.

Problem is that I need something to "push" the smoke out being that I am in the basement.  Looked at booster fans, range hoods, etc and nothing really will work for what I am trying to accomplish

Quote from: wilsondg on September 21, 2010, 04:32:13 PM
Hi Rckcrwlr

I'm new to smoking myself (just jointed for forum a few days ago) but when I built my enclosure for the smoker I 'thought' it would be better not to vent the top of the smoker directly out my exhaust fan to not suck out the heat, but to just let the smoke go into my enclosure, and then have a bathroom exhause fan extract all the air out of the chamber to keep it from filling up with smoke.  Like I said, I'm new so not sure if this is the best, but for the two times I have tried smoking so far, it worked great for me.  If the weather is nice I don't put on the front cover and don't turn on the exhaust fan and the smoke just naturally comes out the front, but if it is windy or raining I put on the front and turn on the exhause fan.

This is the OBS, but I use the PID Dual probe from Auber and for me I really like it because it seems to keep the temperature steady and I just program the PID, and let it do its thing while I do other things.  I like the Set-it and Forget-it Idea :)

That is cool.  May do something next spring for it to be outside but for now it is best kept in the shop.  What I have is almost a combo of yours and Mikes.

The pipe will go to a hole in the side of the paint booth.  Now mind you, I use the booth maybe 5 times a year so it will be more of a smoke box that I can paint in...   ::) 

The hole will be far enough away from the fan, plus I am thinking of putting the fan on a dimmer so control the draw.  Ideal situation, IMO would be that the paint box always has a little smoke in it.  that would mean that it is not forcing a draw.

So have I total confused you guys?

Rckcrwlr

So I am thinking a Turkey Breast on Friday for some great Samwiches for dinner.

Saturday Night I am going to throw a couple butts in for the Stiller's Game on Sunday.

Any suggestions?

Rckcrwlr

So I have it hooked up and ready to go.

The way I have the pipe, it isn't pulling the smoke anymore.  That was a big problem the way I had it the last time.

Adapter to remove pipe.

Hooked up

I'm ready to start Smokin'

Tenpoint5

Well then GET TO IT!!! Lets smoke something already!! ;D ;D Just how much self torture can one inflict on themselves?