First attempt at ribs

Started by Chili Head, September 14, 2010, 07:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

They turned out pretty good but there's room for improvement.
I made up some Jans rib rub lastnight and used special blend pucks and it was awesome! Love the flavor  ;D  I messed up by not rotating the racks properly, The bottom rack of ribs were a little over done on the bottom side but still juicy. Other than that they they tasted great and the ribs that were on the upper rack were perfect and the bark...ooh lala ;D  I have three racks of baby backs in the freezer for the next try  ;)

DTAggie

Good job Chili Head.  Do foil or go without the whole time?  How many hours of smoke?

Chili Head

I smoked them for 2 hours and cooked for 5.5 hours total. They cooked about an hour longer than I wanted..bad planning on my part but I wasnt real sure when they were going to be done and I wanted them done when the parents arrived. I foiled them for the last hour because I was affraid they were going to dry out.

DTAggie

Looks like they turned out ok.  Have you looked at the 3-2-1 method?

Chili Head

3-2-1 yeah I read up on that last week,smoke for three cook for two and foil the last hour.. I think I may have had the heat too high also  :-\

classicrockgriller

smoke for three, foil for two, cook for one.

Chili Head

Yeah I just went back and read that too..it was still a tasty mistake  ;D

What temp should I set it for next time? I had it at 270 thinking it would stay around 250. A couple times I checked the maverick the temps were in the  260's with the temp probe hanging just above the meat. I can now see the importance of a pid  ;)

DTAggie

Read the temp below the meat since the heat comes from below.  No worries you are on the right track.

TestRocket

Hey, they were good and will only get better! That's a win! Congrats!

Uncle Pigfat

Quote from: Chili Head on September 14, 2010, 09:06:49 PM
Yeah I just went back and read that too..it was still a tasty mistake  ;D

What temp should I set it for next time? I had it at 270 thinking it would stay around 250. A couple times I checked the maverick the temps were in the  260's with the temp probe hanging just above the meat. I can now see the importance of a pid  ;)

PID's are nice, but not necessary for ribs.  They're forgiving with the early large temp swings until the meat starts getting hotter.  I like to keep my temp for ribs between 220* and 230*.  The ribs will definitely let you know when they're done.