YAAN (Yet another n00b)

Started by pkadare, June 27, 2005, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkadare

Hi all! What a great forum this is! I spend a lot of time in USENET forums, and while I'm not a huge fan of web based forums, I have to say that this one is top notch! (Ok, enough sucking up? [:I])
Thanks to my lovely wife, I just picked up a BS Original yesterday and can't wait to get started with it. I actually headed out to Canadian Tire early yesterday morning intending to pick up a cheap ($79.99 CAD) smoker. When I saw the unit in the store I thought to myself, "Wow, this looks like it is worth every penny I'm going to pay for it" and left it sitting on the shelf. I drove home, picked up my wife and headed to BBQs Galore in Burlington. They had 2 smokers on display, the BS for $450 CAD and a second one (can't recall the brand but it was a 7-in-1 unit for about $299 CAD). My wife decided that the BS was the way to go! Glad I decided to go back and pick her up!
So, I'm now about to embark on a smoking journey and I can't wait. I actually started last night, and while the results were ok, they weren't great. After spending a couple of hours seasoning the unit, I smoked some pork loin chops according to the recipe in the booklet that came with the BS. I encountered two problems, both of which could have been prevented had I read this forum prior to beginning.
The first problem was inserting the drip tray upside down. [:I] This caused some juices to run out of the unit at the lower left right hand corner of the door, just next to the hinge. This problem has been corrected. The second problem I had was temperature. I obviously had the temperature too high as the chops were over done and on the dry side after only 2 hours (the recipe calls for a 3 to 4 hour smoke). These were centre loin butterflied chops that were 1/2" to 3/4" thick so I think that they should have taken close to the 3 hours had I kept the temp down where it was supposed to have been. I've found the Maverick ET-73 at a store in North Vancouver and fortunately my brother lives in North Van so I'm going to get him to pick one up for me and then FedEx it to Burlington. We're having a party on the weekend and I want to smoke a mess of ribs and certainly don't want to ruin them.
Ok, enough rambling from me. I'm going to try a batch of beef jerky tonight or tomorrow and hopefully I can keep the temp where it needs to be. Looks like I'll be ordering some Bubba pucks as well! I'll likely lurk for a bit and then hopefully with practice and experience will be able to start contributing.

http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
"The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly labeled as such."
Ray Shea

Phone Guy

Welcome, you will find a vast amount of information here.

jaeger

Welcome pkadare,
I just bumped a thread on ribs under the meat section. Check it out. The only warning, if you are offended by, [:p] or [:D] or [^] or [;)] or [8D], you may not want to go there!

Also for a recent jerky thread check out"Newbie wants to make Turkey Jerky" under the meat section.

Let us know what's smokin!!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Paul!  You and your wife are wise, indeed . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Welcome to the Forum, Paul!  You and your wife are wise, indeed . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">YEPPER! Oh and you can spell correctly LOL! (nOOb)

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!