PID question

Started by Uncle Pigfat, September 17, 2010, 05:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

So my parents surprised me with a single probe PID (implying that salmon will be provided to them in the future) with the hanging probe.  I was going through the instruction disc and was curious as to how you guys position your cabinet probe.  If you're haning the probe over the meat, won't that provide inaccurate data?  wouldn't you want it below the meat, or at least out of the way of all the moisuture coming off the meat?

squirtthecat

Nice suprise!

I run mine through the door, then dangle below the lowest tray of meat. (usually off to the left side, so nothing drips on it)

I have Frog Mats, so I just poke the Auber probe through one of the mats to secure it.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I do the same except I run mine in through the vent.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

I locate the hanging probe under the lowest rack with meat. The disposable pans I use for my puck catcher come in a set of 2. They are connected with a metal clip on each side. I took the clips and connected them by drilling a hole and putting a small bolt through (would have welded or something if I knew how). So I end up with a piece of metal about an inch or so long with rounded ends. One end I hook on to the rack, the other I slip the probe into and it works perfect. If anyone is interested I'll take and post some pics later.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

kinyo

Pics would be great!

Thanks

GusRobin

I'll do it tonight when I get home from work
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Uncle Pigfat

Thanks for the quick and plentiful responses, fellas.  I was planning on dropping it below my lowest rack anyhow because above the meat made no sense to me, considering everything I've done as well as read on these forums.

TestRocket

I use the same metal clip that GusRobin is talking about but I just bent it over and hang it from the rack.

Click to enlarge:

GusRobin

Here is the clip with the bolt through it and the probe hanging