baked beans

Started by smokin stu, September 17, 2010, 10:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin stu

I kept the bone from a pork butt I had smoked and threw it in the slow cooker when cooking up some baked beans.  It did some good, but it did not impart as much flavor as I wanted.  Next time I think I will keep some of that pulled pork as well and throw it and the bone in with the baked beans to see if I can get that smoky flavor to them. 

My other option is to smoke some bacon and just do it that way, but I was hoping to get something more out of that pork bone.......

Tenpoint5

Make your beans and put them in a foil pan and throw the whole works in the smoker for 1:40 of smoke stirring every 20 minutes should impart some smoke into your beans just fine
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Ditto.

Last time I made Hog Apple beans, I smoked the bacon until it was crispy, mixed in the beans/apple pie filling/bbq sauce/etc. and put the pot (it was an old pressure cooker pot that I cut the handle off), in the smoker for a couple hours.

I've tried making pulled pork chlii with the pork shoulder bones thrown in, and got not much if any flavor out of them as well.

hal4uk

I like to chop some pulled pork and mix into the beans, and then cook them in a casserole dish covered with strips of bacon.  when the bacon is done, the beans are done, and there's plenty of PORK FLAVOR  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby