HAMZILLA in the making!!

Started by Tenpoint5, September 17, 2010, 11:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I have made reference to having Hamzilla in my freezer. I figured it was time to put up since we all know I don't shut up very often. I got the old girl out of the freezer this morning. I will thaw her out over the weekend in the beer fridge and start curing on Monday. I will de-bone the ham and stuff into a net. I got this ham and its twin sister from the Amish here in Iowa. (Yes Squirt and Hal this is the twin sister pay attention to the following pictures)

First you hoist and flop it on top of the scale to see if it will fit.

Then you say to yourself "Damn how big is that thing?"

I need to know just how heavy it REALLY is!!

OK now that we know it is definitely HAMZILLA size get the big meat lug out

Cover everything in plastic wrap and off to the beer fridge to thaw out over the weekend. I am thinking this might be a really really long smoke when the time comes. I will keep you up to date as this one goes along. I will weight it again after I remove the bones, to get a better idea of how much brine to inject.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

Wow, that thing is going to make an awesome huge ham.   

squirtthecat

Good lord!

You gonna hang it from a tree? (with your Bradley strategically positioned underneath)

Tenpoint5

Should be able to make a ham sandwich or two with it. At least that's what I am thinking of doing with it.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

Holeee Moleeeee!!!!  Can you really squeeze that in the Bradley?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 17, 2010, 11:38:53 AM
Should be able to make a ham sandwich or two with it. At least that's what I am thinking of doing with it.

Or 3 or 4   ;D

Looking good

KyNola

Hal,
You took the words right out of my mouth.  Chris, you sure you can stuff that thing in a Bradley and what the heck are you going to hang it from?  You don't have any netting hoss enough to hold that brute do you?

This is gonna be fun to watch as it transpires.

Go get 'em Chris!

Tenpoint5

I will probably double net this one. Yes it is going in the Bradley!! It will be a long smoke because I have to babysit my SG it has been acting up here lately so I have to check it every 20 minutes to make sure it cycled.

BuyLowSellHigh

I think that's the ham that ate Chicago.  That thing is downright scary.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

I'm sure you'll HAM it up right.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Run for your lives!   It's the..

hal4uk

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 17, 2010, 03:38:20 PM
Run for your lives!   It's the..
Stand back, boys...
(I might have to "take one for the team!")
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

Now that looks like it is going to be good. It also looks like it is going totake a long time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Holy carp that's a big boy. If you had told me sooner I could have sent you a chunk of a gill net from the fishboats.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.