New to this!, How to smoke a whole Turkey and rub or brine

Started by blackoctaupus, September 18, 2010, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackoctaupus

I just bought a Bradley smokey, I was wondering if you can cook a whole turkey and how to do it. I did season my smoke yesterday. Today doing ribs and chicken thighs from Iceman rub, Thank you Iceman. What is the temp for the turkey for cooking and how long does it as to be in the smoker. And those rack can They handle the weight of the turkey.
thank you all
Jacques :)

mow_delon

Turkeys rock in the Bradley.  I have smoked whole and have de-boned and smoked the breasts, which is my favorite way to make turkey.  A turkey over about 10-12 lbs probably will be tight in the smoker whole, may have to take legs and wings off.  Look on the recipe site and pick a brine and follow the smoking directions there.  You really can't go wrong.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Vent wide open.  That bird is holding a LOT of moisture that needs to escape.  Smoking/cooking temp at least 250.  After the smoke period you could always move it to your house oven to cook at regular turkey roasting temps.  Most folk like to do the turkey in the Bradley from start to finish but after the smoke period, the Bradley is nothing more than an oven.

Have fun and tell us all about it.  We like pics too!

blackoctaupus

Thank you all, I'm planning the turkey for thanksgiving.
Hopefully I will be more experience by then.
Jacques

FLBentRider

Quote from: blackoctaupus on September 19, 2010, 02:38:02 PM
Thank you all, I'm planning the turkey for thanksgiving.

Do yourself a favor - do a "practice" bird - it will do wonders for your confidence on the big day.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

QuoteDo yourself a favor - do a "practice" bird - it will do wonders for your confidence on the big day.

Thanks a good idea --It will also help you plan the timing.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Shasta bob

I smoked one here last week in my Bradley Brine was cure #1 & water & Salt for three Days then Smoked in a bag hanging from the vent with a bag hook for 13 hours it came out great. temp was 200 in the Bradley
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ