The ham virus has taken over the forum!!! Please be carefull.....

Started by punchlock, September 18, 2010, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

Can you give some details on # of hours of smoke, what type of puck(s), temperature of cabinet and final IT
Beautiful looking pictures. Wish I could taste it.

punchlock

Quote from: Rich_91360 on October 21, 2010, 10:54:01 AM
Can you give some details on # of hours of smoke, what type of puck(s), temperature of cabinet and final IT

well this ham is on the large side so I am not yet sure of the timeline but it looks like it will be stubborn. I put the ham in the smoke yesterday at 4:00 pm and left it there to dry out at an temperature of 120 for 12 hours. I then proceeded to smoke the ham with a mixture of maple and apple for the next 8 hours at a temp of 140. After the 8 hour smoke I turned the temp up again to 170 and will shoot for an internal temp of 152. If my math is right "and it rarely is" I am now at the 23 hour mark and the the ham has an IT of 121.

This is my second ham and until TenPoint5 peeked my intrest and showed me the way, I had never thought it possible to make my own ham but him and many others have truly made it a walk in the park.

It's going to be a long night.....

Tenpoint5

I just love planting a seed and sitting back and watching it grow!!!

Punchlock is this a race to see who can do the biggest Ham??? ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Rich_91360 on October 21, 2010, 10:54:01 AM

Rich here is the recipe that Punchlock is following it should answer your questions. Hickory is the most common smoke flavor for hams.

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

punchlock

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 21, 2010, 01:50:39 PM

No i just ask the butcher for a raw ham and he says pick it up on Wednesday. When I show up he shows me this ham and lowers it onto the scale. When I saw the weight I was rather concerned  :-\

But I do what most men would do in this position, I say I can make it fit "I think". I then leave the shop knowing that the man who leaves the butcher shop with the biggest piece of meat wins, and last Wednesday that was me.  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: punchlock on October 21, 2010, 02:02:12 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 21, 2010, 01:50:39 PM

No i just ask the butcher for a raw ham and he says pick it up on Wednesday. When I show up he shows me this ham and lowers it onto the scale. When I saw the weight I was rather concerned  :-\

But I do what most men would do in this position, I say I can make it fit "I think". I then leave the shop knowing that the man who leaves the butcher shop with the biggest piece of meat wins, and last Wednesday that was me.  ;D
LOL You win I am done with the Hamzilla's. I have one more that is the twin to mine, but it is going on a road trip this Sunday.
BTW YOU WIN Hamzilla was only 28 pounds.

Rich_91360

Thanks very much for all the detail.  Will stop by my butcher to order and send photos when I do it.

punchlock

well it's been 38 hrs now and I am at 146 IT and the thing still is not done.  >:( ???  >:(  ???

GusRobin

Well, I did a 22 lb and it took 30 hrs so I imagine your 32 lb would take a bit longer. That's why God invented the PID, remote maverick and alcohol.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

punchlock

Quote from: GusRobin on October 22, 2010, 05:10:43 AM
That's why God invented the PID, remote maverick and alcohol.

;D ;D ;D

God has not seen fit to grant me a PID yet, however he has been rather generous with the Maverick and alcohol.  ;)

My patience is wearing thin....  >:(

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

squirtthecat

Quote from: punchlock on October 22, 2010, 05:29:40 AM
My patience is wearing thin....  >:(

Old Man, I gotta tell You. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginning to get to me. When does it end? What do You got in mind for me?

GusRobin

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 22, 2010, 06:19:02 AM

Old Man, I gotta tell You. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginning to get to me. When does it end? What do You got in mind for me?

What we've got here is... failure to communicate
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here