The ham virus has taken over the forum!!! Please be carefull.....

Started by punchlock, September 18, 2010, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

Ok, I picked up my case of 2 "Pork Legs" and one will in the Brine by Saturday so I can smoke it next weekend. I promised my Mother that I would bring a Ham for our Easter get together. The first one might be the Easter Ham as I'm not sure I will have time to do another by Easter. I am going to follow a basic recipe I found here. Thanks for the help so far.

Tob

Question from a newbie here; One of the recipes I have used stresses that a non metallic, non plastic container should be used for brining. I used a ceramic bowl from a crock pot for my first ham, but had to cut out the bones and trim the meat into chunks to fit in the bowl and remain submerged
I see that the very fine looking ham by Punchlock was in a metal pot (swimmin pool) Does it matter if the 'pool' is made from aluminum or stainless?
I have not been able to find crockery large enough, but there are lots of large aluminum and s/s pots in the stores.
Thanks.
Prior proper planning prevents
piss poor performance

3rensho

Plastic containers should not be a problem if they are food grade.  Use them all the time.  I use SS pots too for corned beef and such.  Definitely do not use aluminum pots.  Al is too reactive.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

Tob another option is to mix your brine in a 2 gallon Zip Bag and put that inside whatever container you have.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tob

Thanks tenpoint and 3rensho. I appreciate the advice.
I thought maybe s/s would be okay, and Al. not okay, but was thrown off by the recipe I have for brine cured ham.
Excellent idea, Ziplok bag inside a vessel (duh, should have thought of that myself!) would require less brine too.
A hamming we shall go!
Prior proper planning prevents
piss poor performance

crusty044

Good Morning to all of you Gentlemen that contributed to this fatal Ham Virus. I certainly have caught this rotten virus and I am thousands of miles away in Australia.
All the pictures certainly didn't help either, I was nearly trying to lick the screen.
Hopefully I can find a couple of aspirins to cure my illness
It is to late for the Easter feast but I will be making hams with the recipe in this thread and all the other advise
freely given by the members.
Luckily I did notice that there are specials now for Easter with every butcher shop and super market.
I just wonder why. What has Easter got to do with HOME MADE HAM. If they can have specials for Easter why not every month.
Best Wishes to all for the Easter holidays. We are having a 5 day break nation wide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.   Brisbane.

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

jiggerjams

Any ideas on where to get a 5 Gal food grade bucket? Ontario if that helps.

squirtthecat

Quote from: jiggerjams on May 13, 2011, 05:42:11 PM
Any ideas on where to get a 5 Gal food grade bucket? Ontario if that helps.

Run by your favorite bakery...    I have a 3.5 gallon food grade bucket from a small grocery store nearby (they do cakes and other customer things) and their frosting comes in it.

viper125

Well I get from grocery stores delies alot they get food in all sizes of plastic buckets. Also mc donalds and such they get pickles and that. My wife worked at giant eagle deli so I got mine their. They throw them out if no one takes them.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

Frosting, Pickled Herring, Pickles all come in food grade plastic buckets. Check with restaurants or bars to see if they have them and if they will save you one.

BTW I had nothing to do with this Ham Virus thing!!! It was all CRG's fault. ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Thanks guys that is easy enough. Might even be a freebie!!