steady temperature

Started by jjesso, March 18, 2004, 06:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjesso

I am getting my Bradley soon.

How hard is it maintain a constant temperature when smoking for 8-10 hours?

MallardWacker

JJ,

Frankley to darn easy <u><i><font color="red">IF YOU DON'T</font id="red"></i></u> keep opening the door.  On a typical 8 hr cook, 4hrs of smoke.  I will look at 4 hrs and if I need to rotate any racks I will do it then.
If you keep opening the door it will mess up your results.  Be patient, you bought a great smoker let it do the work for you.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

jjesso

So if you were to do a texas beef brisket for 10 hours, you would do 4-5 hours of smoke?  So enough pellets for that.  Right?

I'm new to smokin'.

MallardWacker

jj,

I must be truthful with you this is not my forte'-brisket.  Brisket is a different type of meat.  It is a very absorbing type cut.  What I am trying to say is that this rule may need to be altered abit.  The better briskets will "I" believe need to be baisted abit to come out right.  Brisket is a bit harder piece of meat to make come right unlike a pork butt is nearly fool proof.  Bottom line keep the door opening thing down to a complete minimum.  I have heard of putting bricks in the bottom of the smoker for stored heat, this will alow it to come back up to temp much quicker, I have never tried this.  About the amount of smoke, I normally don't smoke with more than 4-5hrs of pucks.  Just my thoughts.  Please let us know how your briskets come out.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

jjesso

ruffinit

JJ.a good book on all type smoke cooking is [SMOKE AND SPICE ]by cheryl and bill jamison,got mine at barnes and noble,[16 bucks]worth every penny!good luck and have fun smokin[:D]

mike

trout

JJ,  I also only smoke my food for 4 or 5 hours.  I have read in a few of my pile of smoke cooking books that meat will nolonger absorb smoke after several hours.  As far as heat remaining stable, I don't see that big of an issue after the first couple hours.  By then the meat has increased in temp quite a bit.  So the smoker comes back up to temp pretty quick if you open it to check on things.[;)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Chez Bubba

IMO, your success at a good brisket probably mainly depends on the cut of meat you buy. Around here, most "supermarket" cuts have removed the fat cap to make it appear more healthy. Might be great for fajitas, but for smoking it's not ideal.

If you can get one with the fat cap intact, you've found a self-baster.

The one who assaults ducks has offered you profound knowledge. "If you keep opening the door it will mess up your results. Be patient, you bought a great smoker let it do the work for you."

There's a learning curve, but not much of one. Smoke on[8D],

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Bubba,

There is nothing better than going up the Arkansas River in my boat at the first part of January at 4:30 am with frost on my mustache and good coffee in my thermos, setting up a few dozen deeks, sitting there with the best freinds on earth and assulting a few mallards.  You must try it some time.  I love it....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

A little late here in adding my 2-cents. Now before the brisket is so done it is falling apart--which is not good, the best way to tell if your brisket is done is to take a two prong fork and stick it into the meat. When you can remove the fork by lifting it straight up without lifting the meat off the pan then the brisket is done. There should be some bite on the fork from the meat, but again the meat should not lift off the pan. At that point you can slice your brisket without it tearing apart.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefJeff

Have we all forgotten the thermometer? 180'F. and you are good to go.[:p][:D][8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN