It was 44º this morning so....

Started by Tenpoint5, September 08, 2010, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Where I am we were largely spared, only 3-4 " depending on where you measure.  Pretty easy as tropical weather goes down here.  Considering the location (Alvin, TX) of the maximum 24-hour rainfall in US history (43",  1979) is about 30 miles away, we're feeling blessed. 
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

DTAggie

BLSH - you did luck out. 

Caney, no TV or radio for 6 or 7 days?  You in a cave?

KevinG

Hope you guys stay relatively dry. I know water out here is a blessing, not sure about you Texas guys.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

I haven't any rain in quite some time.  The lawn is half dead. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Quote from: DTAggie on September 09, 2010, 08:57:13 AM
BLSH - you did luck out. 

No, but don't watch much anyways - I like my level of frustration and disgust to be on the lower side.  Four of those days was cooking for 100 kids at a ministry my daughter and I are connected with.  The other 2 days were recovering? 

Just talked to one of my sisters.  Lives on Canyon Lake and she said everything was within the banks more or less, but they did get up to 12 inches over a 2 day period.  Couldn't get in touch with the folks - apparently they are somewhere playing the one arm bandits. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

That's funny, I've got a Canyon Lake about 10 miles from me and we didn't get any rain.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

watchdog56

NIce looking bunch of cheese there 10.5 Would like to do some string cheese myself but what a pain taking the plastic off of every piece.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: DTAggie on September 09, 2010, 08:57:13 AM
BLSH - you did luck out. 

DT, were you here in '79 when TS Claudette came ashore?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

La Quinta

Smoked cheese...aahhh...the thought of it...temps coming down here...but gonna be 108 again next week...gotta make a bunch this winter...I'm jealous!!!  ???

DTAggie

BLSH - was at my grandparents house in Jones Creek.  That house made it through Carla, one of the only one sin the area, so we always went there.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: La Quinta on September 09, 2010, 08:56:52 PM
Smoked cheese...aahhh...the thought of it...temps coming down here...but gonna be 108 again next week...gotta make a bunch this winter...I'm jealous!!!  ???

Well Stop on by I'll give you some LQ!! Heck we might even have a cold Adultry Beverage or two while your here.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Quote from: DTAggie on September 09, 2010, 09:04:12 PM
BLSH - was at my grandparents house in Jones Creek.  That house made it through Carla, one of the only one sin the area, so we always went there.

I remember Buelah and Celia very well,  In '67 dad and I wanted to go to the cabin at Corpus to fish.  Heard some about Buelah so decided to delay a day or two - it was going to be a week long trip.  When the hurricane hit the Yucatan peninsula, it rapidly downgraded to a TS.  So we decided we'd be relatively safe that far north of the TS.  On the way down, we noticed a lot of vehicles making their way North.  Stopped at a Service Station somewhere around Mathis and asked.  The guy there said the 'cane had very rapidly reestablished itself into a very strong storm.  If it was him, he'd turn around.  We did, but kinda scary trip back - lots of tornados around.   Funny thing about the Buelah, was that it made 50 to 100 miles inland a sharp right turn.  Dumped a lot of rain on our deer lease in Webb County and tornado (probably) tore down a couple of windmills on the lease. 

Celia is a more vivid recollection.  Very early 70's - maybe even 1970.  Dad and I had again gone on a week long fishing trip.  We were at the cabin.  He did not want any noise, so we did not bring the generator, so we have very limited radio - only on our boat.  We noticed clouds rolling in, and getting fiercer looking as time wore on.  Then we noticed that no boats were going up or down the ICC.  Strange.  Luckily a wildlife officer noticed our boat tied up at our dock and stopped and warned us about the hurricane that was bearing  down on us.  We got out quick!  He was going to take out at one of the King Ranch Ramps - which was rather close to us, but we had to go 25 miles or so back to Corpus.  Man that was a long and scary trip that did not end fast enough for 14 year old Caney!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

La Quinta

10.5....you gonna be out in the Cali area? Sorry if I'm a bit behind on the postings!!!  :)

Tenpoint5

Not anytime soon, but if I was I would do my best to stop by and have one with you guys. It's hot out there I dont know if I could take it, only 45º here this morning. I like this weather cool at night and warms up to 70 during the day.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

10.5...you would wilt like a baby boy out here....it's hot still but dang when it turns "cold" it is beautiful....clear mountains...pristine desert...cactus blooming in the winter....it really is an amazing place to live....but cant smoke cheese til at least January....