Smoked Salts

Started by Da Bull Man, June 28, 2005, 01:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Bull Man

Another smoke lovin newby here...got my Bradley on Saturday...got er seasoned and gettin ready to go!

My first project will be some Copper River Sockeye Salmon.

I was wondering...does anyone make their own smoked salt on the B.S.?

He who laughs last...thinks slowest.

Frank

tsquared

I smoke kosher salt to have on hand for sauces, stews, chili, etc. Put it in a little tray (I use the tray from an old toaster oven)on the top rack as you don't want any meat moisture or fat dripping on it from whatever else you have going. Leave it for a couple of hours and you'll love it. Welcome to the forum.
T2

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Frank--don't be a stranger!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Da Bull Man,

Love the name! Greetings, and welcome to the group!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I do the same as T2. Occasionally when I have room, which means at least two shelves available, I will smoke some kosher salt. I have a small cookie sheet that fits perfectly in one of the BS trays, and pour about 1/8" layer of salt. I place the salt on the second shelf from the top, and then I line another tray with cheese cloth and place that on the top shelf. I take the salt out when I empty and refill the water pan.

The cheese cloth lined tray is not necessary, but I find that it helps catch any moisture dripping from the ceiling of the BS down onto the salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Hi Da Bull Man,

welcome to the forum. [:D]

There are a couple of threads on smoked salt if you do a search, I do mine in a similar way that tsquared and Habs described. Top shelf or two, around 1/8th inch deep etc.

I cold smoke coarse sea salt for a couple of hours, only used oak to date.

As salt is a dessicant I put it in the oven for a several minutes at around 100degC afterwards to dry it off, taking care not to burn it!! Giving it a mix round a couple of times speeds up the drying process.[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Da Bull Man

Thanks...I have spent good $$ on store bought smoked salts.

They sure work well when I am forced to use the indoor oven or even on a grilled steak.

Look forward to many smoke filled days!

He who laughs last...thinks slowest.

Frank

Phone Guy

Salt is one thing I have not tried. I think I'll give it a try.