1st timer needs help. What should I smoke first?

Started by Superman in Training, June 28, 2005, 04:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superman in Training

I just seasoned my brand new Original Bradley Smoker and I can't wait to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try first?  I want something that will be a little on the easier side but will still blow everyone away!

Someone also told me that the meat might not taste right until you use it a few times. Is this true?  I understand that the more you use it the better it is, but the does this mean that the first time I smoke something that I shouldn't serve it to guest? Maybe wait until I smoke a few things first?

Anyway if someone has an idea for my first meat to smoke it would be appreciated!! [8D]

MallardWacker

Man of SuperSmoker,

The two things that are always mentioned are Boston Butts and Chicken.  Brisket aren't(isn't) bad either.  I would try these first.  Forget the "meat might not taste right until you use it a few times" thing, you be very happy with your begining results.

I would choose a butt, it's cheap and almost fool proof with a Bradley.....and it makes you look good in front of the little women and somewhat takes the edge off of "you spent how much?" line.

Also WELCOME!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

The first few things you smoke will taste horrible.  Send them to me and I will dispose of them in a fitting manner, only because I'm a nice guy. [:D]

Phone Guy

oguard

Superman(in training) Another easy one is chicken breast wrapped in bacon.Marinate the chicken in some italian salad dessing and wrap in bacon.Put in preheated smoker and cook to an internal temp of about 180f.Use only about 3 or4 pucks and it will turn out great.

BTW welcome to the forum

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The first few things you smoke will taste horrible. Send them to me and I will dispose of them in a fitting manner, only because I'm a nice guy. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> You want to watch that psdul07-he's an especially tricky fellow!

Superman in Training

lol  good one psdubl07!!

OK I got a 7.5 pound pork shoulder!! I am excited to get started. I have looked in the recipe forum, but I am wondering if anyone can post a recipe here for me?

Thanks again for everyones help!!

I ordered some bubba pucks last night too!!

Superman in Training

Well, I did some more searching and I answered my own question. I am going to use the pulled pork recipe! I can hardly wait. I made the rub and the monster shoulder is now in the fridge!I will let it sit for 48 hrs

I will update my progress... [8D]

Phone Guy

psdubl07

I have started to put the rub on when I pull the meat out of the refrigerator, an hour or so before going into the smoker.  IMO the rub won't penetrate the meat by sitting on there longer (not significantly anyway), but the salt in the rub will pull moisture out.

Either way Clark Kent, you'll be OK.  Just follow the recipe/instructions, give it about 4 hours of smoke, change the water, and let the Bradley do its thing.  Let us know how it turns out. [8D]

Phone Guy

Yea Clark,
I would agree with psdubl07. I have applied the rub and it sat long enough to get the Bradley fired up and ready then into the smoker. It came out just as good as any other. When I stated that over night or 24 hours was long enough, I meant that there is no reason to leave it that long. I am not an expert yet but I have done a lot of smoking in a short amount of time and I could not tell the difference in the taste.

Superman in Training

Work doesn't allow me to cook it today or tomorrow so looks like I will be waiting 48hrs anyway.. thanks for the tips though next time I wont have to worry about trying to preplan so far ahead.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Superman in Training</i>
<br />Work doesn't allow me to cook it today or tomorrow so looks like I will be waiting 48hrs anyway.. thanks for the tips though next time I wont have to worry about trying to preplan so far ahead.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just be sure to allow enough time for that bad boy to cook--about 12-14 hours I would say . . . remember, low and slow!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA