One More Question

Started by terry08, September 22, 2010, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

Can the Morton Sugar Cure be used to cure the hillbilly bacon. Can't find the Tender Quick, it used to be available in all most all stores here.  But even the butcher suppliers here don't know were it got off to.
But I did find the Morton Sugar Cure

GusRobin

I don't know about the substitution, but here is a web site to buy the tender quick if you want to go that route.

http://morton.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=21211
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Mr Walleye

Terry

Based on the link below from Morton's site Morton Tender Quick can be used interchangeably with Morton Sugar Cure (Plain).

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/meatcuring/tenderquick.html

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

First reread the label. If it says "Morton Sugar Cure" only, then you can use that instead of Tender Quick. It has a little more sugar and it comes with a flavor packet that you can add to the cure mix, if you want.

If it says "Morton Sugar Cure Smoke Flavored", it is not interchangeable with Morton's Tender Quick. That brand only contains sodium nitrate and is for use only for meats that require a long curing time and will not be cooked, such as dry cured sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

terry08

Thanks folks, after re reading Habanero's, first reply to me I saw the recipe for making my own from my pink cure which is readily available here and I keep on hand for sausage. I know I can order on line but, the shipping and handling is where they get you. I will just mix my own. Also I found a buckboard bacon cure here at Bass Pro. Packaged by High Mountain, anyone ever tried it. Will do 25# and the price is
$ 4.99. Think I may try it for the first ones and then go from there. Found Butts on sale $.88 a lb.

Will start the cure Sat. morning. Will pick up pork belly from Wilson's Meat Processing Tues. $1.89 a Lb.
then start curing for regular bacon. You folks got me excited about this. Been smoking for years but never tried curing bacon.

Thanks again for your penitence with me.

Habanero Smoker

That's a good price for pork belly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

terry08

Habannero, you can Google Wilson's Meat Market Crystal Springs Ms. and read the reviews on the folks there. They raise their own hogs and beef. They have been around as long as I can remember, and I will soon be sixty. They have always had a USDA inspector there full time and have seen a couple retire. They just don't ship or have a web site, but folks from all over the country rave about their sausage and other cuts. They stay so busy locally that I guess they need no more business. I have tried to out do their sausage but can't duplicate it or improve on it.  >:( >:(

terry08

Picked up the two butts today, total weight 20 Lbs. Picked up the High Mountain Cure at Bass Pro, and after reading ingredients. They are identical to Habaneros recipe. Will make my own from here on out,
thanks to folks like you.