Preheating OBS using Auber PID

Started by smoker pete, September 23, 2010, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Have searched the Forum but have not been able to find an answer on how members with an Auber PID use it to preheat the OBS.  Just received an Auber and tested it and found it to control the temp wonderfully but I was not smoking anything when I ran the test.  I just set the first step of the Auber to a temp of 250F for a time of 5 hours.  Temp came up to 250F +/- 2F in about 35 minutes and stayed there for 1.5 hours before I shut the test down.  Monitored with Maverick ET-73 to verify temp and they stayed within +/- 3F of each other.

Here's my question:  Do I preheat my OBS using the 1st step of the Auber at say 15 to 20 degrees above my starting temperature for say 45 minutes which should allow the chamber to come up to temp in that time frame and start to roll smoke 10 minutes before inserting food?  I figure that opening the door and inserting the food will drop the temperature a certain amount.

Should I then have my second step programmed to the temp and time required for the smoke?  Depending on what I am smoking I then would have the other steps (if necessary) programmed accordingly.  Or am I just over thinking this whole process?  I have to preheat and once preheated I want to use the PID to control the smoke job accordingly.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Up In Smoke

QuoteOr am I just over thinking this whole process?  I have to preheat and once preheated I want to use the PID to control the smoke job accordingly.
I love my pid.
If i am not doing anything that requires ramping up i usually set the PID 15 to 20 degrees higher than i need.
Once preheated i insert food, give the temp a chance to recover a bit and then adjust the controller down.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

FLBentRider

I have step one set to 275F for one hour.

At the 35-45 minute mark I put the food in.

If I have to ask myself if I am overthinking something  I usually am.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

On step one, I have PID set to 250* for hr on small loads and 1 1/2 hr on large loads.

After cabinet gets to set pre heat, I start loading it up.

Step two I ramp down to the temp I am smoking at.

I usually start my smoke about 15 to 20 minutes after my last load of food is placed in the smoker.

smoker pete

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 23, 2010, 02:58:39 PM
I usually start my smoke about 15 to 20 minutes after my last load of food is placed in the smoker.
As a newbie CRG I thought that I had to roll the smoke prior to inserting the food.  Still and always will be learning.  Why do you start the smoke 15 to 20 minutes after the last load of food is placed in the smoker?  Does the food require some heat to allow it to receive the smoke better?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

classicrockgriller

No, Is something I just do.

You can start the smoke as soon as you shut the door.

I don't know about before I put food in .... smoke gets in your eyes. ;D

FLBentRider

Rolling smoke before you put the food in is something you do _once_ ...

I just advance the pucks right after I put the food in.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!