powdered milk or soy protien concentrate

Started by aknapp, September 24, 2010, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknapp

I have a question for all of you guru's out there.  I am looking at using the bratworst recipe from Rytek Kuntas and am wondering if I can substitute powdered milk for soy protein concentrate for the binding agent?  Or am I completely off base.  Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

Hi aknapp;

Welcome to the forum.

No your are not off base. Powdered milk was used prior to soy powder concentrate. But it is not the same as you powdered milk that you get in the grocery store. If that is the type you have then you must put it in a processor or blender and process it until it is the consistency of corn starch. After that you can use the below measurements. Besides a binder, it help maintain moisture, and prevents shrinkage.

Best results are obtained at around 3.5% of the green weight of the meat/fat. Amounts of 12% or higher will alter the taste of your sausage. Use at .5 ounce per pound, or 5 ounces (about 1 cup) per 10 pounds of meat/fat; this will give you approximately 3.5%. If measuring by volume, do not pack!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

aknapp

Thank's Hab

I will use the milk as that is what I have access to at the moment.  It's kind of a last minute deal, and I don't have a whole lot of time to gather ingredients.

I probably should have introduced myself before, but have mostly been doing alot of reading and learning.  This will be my first true trial run at sausage and definitely not my last no matter how it turns out. 

Anyway thank you for the help on this as well as all of the other information that you and so many others have contributed to the site.  It is a great place to spend some time and learn a ton.

Andy

Habanero Smoker

Good luck with your sausage. I haven't made bratwrost in a while; now you have me wanting to make a batch.

Also in my last post I meant soy protein concentate, not soy protein powder. They are different.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Seminole

aknapp,

All you need is two egg whites per 1 kg of meat to get a wonderful binding. I have plenty recipes from professional German sausage makers
and this is what they like to use.

www.wedlinydomowe.com

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: aknapp on September 24, 2010, 01:38:27 PM
Thank's Hab

I will use the milk as that is what I have access to at the moment.  It's kind of a last minute deal, and I don't have a whole lot of time to gather ingredients.

I probably should have introduced myself before, but have mostly been doing alot of reading and learning.  This will be my first true trial run at sausage and definitely not my last no matter how it turns out. 

Anyway thank you for the help on this as well as all of the other information that you and so many others have contributed to the site.  It is a great place to spend some time and learn a ton.

Andy

Stick with PM or SPC. You will have a better end product.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2010, 12:59:08 PM
But it is not the same as you powdered milk that you get in the grocery store. If that is the type you have then you must put it in a processor or blender and process it until it is the consistency of corn starch.

Jeez...  I'm learning all sorts here. Made some Kielbasa from Rytek's book 2 weeks ago, and didn't have Soy Protein so went down to the grocery store and bought a tin of powdered skim milk.  I just chucked it in as it came!!!  Oops!

Oh well...  sausage came out fine...  but will take your advice next time!

Also good to know that in a pinch I could use good old fashioned egg white...  always have eggs in the fridge!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on October 05, 2010, 03:23:28 AM

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2010, 12:59:08 PM
But it is not the same as you powdered milk that you get in the grocery store. If that is the type you have then you must put it in a processor or blender and process it until it is the consistency of corn starch.

Jeez...  I'm learning all sorts here. Made some Kielbasa from Rytek's book 2 weeks ago, and didn't have Soy Protein so went down to the grocery store and bought a tin of powdered skim milk.  I just chucked it in as it came!!!  Oops!

Oh well...  sausage came out fine...  but will take your advice next time!

Also good to know that in a pinch I could use good old fashioned egg white...  always have eggs in the fridge!

With powdered milk you do have wide range of how much you can use. Though too little will have little binding effect, and it will not help with moisture retention. Too much you will alter the taste of the sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.