Rckcrwlr's Butt is a Smokin'

Started by Rckcrwlr, September 25, 2010, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

Well, the turkey was incredible...even better the next day.

So it is time for some pulled pork.

Started off with a 8lb Boneless Butt

Rubbed it with a mixture of Salt, Brown Sugar, Bay Leaves, Black Pepper and Cayenne Pepper.  Wrapped it tight in plastic and let it sit in the fridge for 24+ Hours. 

Took it out about 30 mins ago and schmeared some Yellow Mustard on it and let it sit to get to room temp.

Oven is getting to temp...

Will be smoking for 4 hours at 220 and then finish for about 14 hours at 200ish.

After I take it out and wrap it, it should be ready to pull for the Stiller Game at 1:00pm tomorrow.

Rckcrwlr

Made up my favorite Sauce...I used to call it a Carolina Sauce but I had a bunch of people challenge that so I will just call it my Favorite Sauce that was called Carolina Sauce...  LOL

Here is the recipe that I worked off of:

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard
    * 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    * 3/4 cup cider vinegar
    * 3/4 cup beer
    * 1 tablespoon chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
    * 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, or to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. In a heavy non-reactive saucepan, stir together the mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, and beer. Season with chili powder and black, white, and cayenne peppers. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook for about 20 minutes. DO NOT BOIL, or you will scorch the sugar and peppers.
   2. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, butter, and liquid smoke. Simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes. Taste, and season with hot sauce to your liking. Pour into an airtight jar, and refrigerate for overnight to allow flavors to blend. The vinegar taste may be a little strong until the sauce completely cools.

After it set for 24 hours, I placed it in a plastic squeeze bottle for ease of application.

DTAggie

Sailor

Nice looking sauce.  Since you call it Carolina Sauce does it resemble Carolina Treat?  Lots of guys on the forum are looking for a clone of the famous Carolina Treat.  Personally I have never tried CT but looking forward to the day that I score a bottle.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Rckcrwlr

Not sure what CT is...this is a mustard base but thin so not to over power the pork.  Using the squirt bottle gives you control of application.

The local BBQ joint has a Carolina sauce, he said Eastern that is more like a kicked up Italian Dressing, for lack of a better description.  That one, IMO, is good as a combo with a heavier red sauce...

The butt is in.  IT is 57 degrees  :( and smoker temp is 200.

Rckcrwlr

Well I am 5 hours into this.  Smoking is done, changed out the water tray with new hot water.  Dropped it down to 190 for the next 13 hours.

Rckcrwlr

I'm in the home stretch.

IT is 168
Smoker Temp hovers around 180
6 hours to go

Sailor

That is for sure a Low and Slow smoke.  Bet it will be tender.

pensrock

QuoteAfter I take it out and wrap it, it should be ready to pull for the Stiller Game at 1:00pm tomorrow.
That will be great for the game. I'm planning to finish up the ribs I made yesterday.

Rckcrwlr

I'm getting a little nervous. 

What temp is good to pull it out and wrap it?

Sailor

I do my butts at 225 from the time I put them in until the IT is 190*.  At 190 I pull them and wrap in foil and wrap in a towel and place in a cooler (FTC) for 2 to 3 hrs.  After the FTC the bone should pull out slick as a new babies bottom and she is ready to be pulled.

Rckcrwlr

Mine is boneless and is currently at a 170 IT.

I bumped the temp to 250.

Next time I may do what you are saying.  I dropped it down last night to 200... Stupid me...

Tenpoint5

185-195 should be a good time to FTC it until the Game Rck
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

If your IT is at 170 then you are through the stall and she will be climbing nicely for you now.  I think you will be fine for have some pulled pork for the game.  We want photos when she comes out and after the pull.  ;D

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 26, 2010, 07:30:21 AM
185-195 should be a good time to FTC it until the Game Rck

The past couple days I have been trying to figure out all the Acronyms and I am slowly catching on, just hit me what FTC was.

Quote from: Sailor on September 26, 2010, 07:33:23 AM
If your IT is at 170 then you are through the stall and she will be climbing nicely for you now.  I think you will be fine for have some pulled pork for the game.  We want photos when she comes out and after the pull.  ;D

I'm hoping...172 now...