Ribs came out black. Why?

Started by 7997redtail, September 26, 2010, 08:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7997redtail

This was my first attempt at ribs.  I was busy today so I know I screwed up a few things but i didn't expect them to come out black.  I tried the 321.  3 hrs smoke at 225 degrees, 2 hours cooking and one hour in a tent.  So here is how it really went.

Pre-smoker, i bought the ribs to room temp (an hour on the counter top) and used Emerils southwestern rub. 

3 hrs smoke at 225 degrees.  As I am not used to this smoker, the smoker started at 250 Degrees.  Playing with the top vent and lower temp slider i had it at 150 degrees for about an hour while i got it back to 225.  I also put in 16 pucks thinking that three wouldn't get used.  Total of four hours of smoke.  I thought i knew how to count but i guess i can't.  It should have been only 12v pucks.  9 + 3 to push etc. 

2 hours cooking .  I obviously ended up with one extra hour of smoking but my temp was pretty stable at around 225.  Near the end I did notice that it came up to 250 degrees.

one hour in a tent.   well, did i say I was busy?  When I tented  the ribs I forgot to put in apple juice.  However, when I pulled them out of the smoker I was very surprised to see how black they were.  At first I wondered if it was the rub I used and it had burnt. 

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated

Thankiss

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

How did they taste? That is the main thing if they tasted good but were a little dark then no harm no foul. Normally the 2 is when they are foiled and the 1 is when they settle down and stiffen back up while setting the sauce on them. But I refer back to the original question. How did they taste to you and yours?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Pachanga

The answer to your question is "The Maillard Reaction".  

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/INT-what-makes-flavor.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Barbecue-Recipe-Science-Part-I&id=448121

A rib, brisket and certain other meats with a complete Maillard Reaction turn out very dark to black when smoking.  This "bark" is what many prefer.  As TenPoint asks, how did they taste?  

If my ribs, brisket, etc. do not turn out nearly black or at least very deep mahogany with some black on them, I would be disappointed.  Others may prefer different, but in Texas, this bark is the hallmark of great barbeque and indicative of what most Pits in this region strive to achieve.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

To add to the above, the amount of sugar in your rub also will cause a darker color. I'm not familiar with that rub. Does it have a high sugar content?

My ribs turn out to be more of a deep mahogany then black. For myself, three hours of smoke is a lot for ribs; but if they taste good that's all that matters.

Just a side note. If you are not using Bubba Pucks, you only need two additional bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Habanero makes a very good point.  The sugars in the rub (and certain other ingredients) will make a big difference in the final color of your finished product.

Two other factors in color are temperature and a high moisture environment.  While the Maillard Reaction can take place at room temperature over long periods of time, it is accelerated at higher temperatures (300 to 500 F).  A high moisture environment created by foiling can halt or retard the reaction.

Again, it is a preference as to what is right for you and others at your table as to your final color.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

hal4uk

I like to see a deep mahogany (maybe some black in spots), but SOLID BLACK ALL OVER sounds like adjustments are in order.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

unclefish

If you get those three aluminum pucks to push last wood puck of the burner then leave your smoke on it will help keep the temp better in your smoke box. It has helped me with the temp swing that I used to get w-out them. also when you change water put hot back in. I also leave my ribs on the 2nd to 3rd shelf up from bottom. I had my machine shop friend cut 3 aluminum pucks for me. If you need the size I will measure them for you, or I think you can buy on ebay to.

7997redtail

I was wondering why nobody had replied then thought I might have not asked for email replies.  I'll watch that for next time.  In the mean time, thanks for all the replies.

This is starting to sound a lot like chemistry.  I haven't checked the two links yet but i will when i have a little more time.  I am also starting, from the last batch, a log book.  I think I'll need it.

The ribs tasted good but the colour did throw us off a bit and the thinner parts were a little dry.  I think it would have been better with an hour less and following the instructions better.

The rub i used was Emerils Creole spice/rub.  No sugar

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano

I just picked up a piece of aluminum and will be turning it down tomorrow. 

Thanks again

7997redtail

I did have the vent closed.  That gave me 225 degrees with the slider temperature switch almost completely to the right.

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: 7997redtail on September 28, 2010, 10:53:31 PM
I did have the vent closed.  That gave me 225 degrees with the slider temperature switch almost completely to the right.

Make sure to leave your vent at least 3/4 of the way open if not fully open.

A lot of the guys on here take theirs off.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Habanero Smoker

You should not smoke with the vent completely closed. That actually will keep the cabinet temperature down. It takes a fair amount of energy to produce steam (steam in this case means turning water into a gas). That energy is taken from the heat inside the cabinet, thus dropping the temperature.

When moisture is not allowed to escape, it will eventually condense then more energy is needed to convert it back to steam. Condensation that build up on the ceiling, will dissolve some smoke residue and fall on your food. Some call this black rain, which causes black areas but it would not make the entire rib on all shelve black.

Also it will cause smoke and moisture to backup into your generator. This can cause residue to build up and possibly create future problems with the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kaskiles

Quote from: 7997redtail on September 28, 2010, 10:48:47 PM
I was wondering why nobody had replied then thought I might have not asked for email replies.  I'll watch that for next time.

Go into your Profile, and adjust the Email settings, that way you'll get an Email every time someone posts to a post you've started or participated in.

PROFILE page tab near the top of page
Under Modify Profile, click Notifications and Email
I checked all four of those boxes, then selected Replies and Moderation in the drop-down.
Then Save Settings.
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

KyNola

This is just my opinion but if you ran 4 hours of smoke on those ribs with the vent closed the entire time, that's the reason for the black appearance.. That box would be overfilled with smoke the entire time.  Keep that vent open.  Better yet, take the silly thing off.  Still trying to figure out why they even put one on there.  I guess to make the purists happy.

7997redtail

I have redone my profile and I will be removing the vent next time I use the smoker.

I also read the two articles from a previous reply and found out that It is just like science.

Thanks