cold smoking

Started by bardfromedson, September 27, 2010, 01:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bardfromedson

i own the bradley propane smoker and want to upgrade.  just wondering what the lowest temp. setting on the 6 rack digital smoker would be.  i see it says based on ambient temp.  but i want to know if i will need to get the cold smoke attachment.  will it stay under 100 deg F  when the outside temp. is say 70 deg F?  i live in central alberta canada so im also wondering how it works while its cold out.  will it be able to reach 250 F if its well below freezing out?  thanks.

RAF128

If you only turn on the SG the IT of the cabinet depends on the outside temp and sun shine.   Even at 70º the IT will get over 100º.

Habanero Smoker

The best thing to do is detach the generator from the cabinet. The digital oven controller does not control the heat produced by the heating pad. I have the OBS and I unplug the element from the generator, and I believe that the digital owners unplug theirs.

The problem with controlling the heat, is that the heating pad alone can bring your cabinet temperature up to 150°F; depending on the ambient temperature. You can help keep the temperature down by placing ice in the cabinet, opening the door occasionally to let the heat out. Other tips to reduce heat build up, is to cold smoke in the early morning hours, or evening, and keep your smoker out of the sun.

Cold Smoking with the Digital

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)